turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3MOA or 8MOA FF3?

Started by Ridge Rooster, August 01, 2013, 08:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridge Rooster

Which should I go with? Would prefer the 3MOA if it is big and bright enough for turkey hunting? What are yalls opinions?

Thanks

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

outdoors

A 8moa dot will cover roughly 8 inches of target at 100 yards.
At 50 yards that dot will cover 4" of target, an at 25 yards it will cover 2".

The 3moa will cover 3" @100 yards, 1.5" at 50, .75 @ 25yards.

I LIKE THE 3 U CAN STILL SEE THE HEAD ALOT BETTER   :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

reynolds243

i personally like the 3moa better.

valimbhanger

I got the 8 for my SBE II. I think the next one will be a 3 mill. 8 just feels to big IMO.

gobblergls

I have red dot sights in 3, 6.5, 7 and 8 moa.  On a shotgun, it's a matter of preference.  I like the larger dot as it acts as  rangefinder.  At 40 yards, an 8 moa covers a 3.2" circle.  If the dot fits inside the head, it's in range.  If it covers more than the head and into the neck, too far.  The last three red dot's I've bought have been over 7 moa.  If a turkey is 40 yards or closer and if the bird is missed and your red dot is properly zeroed, the miss is on you and it had nothing to do with dot size.

Rapscallion Vermilion

For me, the bigger the dot, the easier it is to keep at least some of the dot on the target in real shooting situations.  Maybe its just me, but the smaller dot makes this harder and seems to amplify my jiggles and wiggles.  I like the 8.

chatterbox

I have the 8 MOA on my 835, and I love it. No issues with it being too big.

Ridge Rooster

Thanks guys, but I still cant decide. Seems to be even split on large dot and small dot!

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Byhalia

~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

reynolds243

Quote from: Ridge Rooster on August 02, 2013, 06:26:34 AM
Thanks guys, but I still cant decide. Seems to be even split on large dot and small dot!

Ridge Rooster

It really comes down to do you like for your site to cover the target or be minimal at the target? My moto is aim small miss small. I bow hunt a lot and just like the same site plane were the aiming point is minimal in the target and your focus is on the actual target. It's all a personal choice but 8 is just way to big once you get past 20yds to me.

beagler

Never Misses

DUCKDIGGLER

Another vote fo the 8 and I own the 3 also. For me the 8 is the perfect turkey hunting dot size.  ymmv

valimbhanger

Sorry about hijacking this thread, but for the ones who have chosen the 8 mil dot as their choice for turkey hunting, how is the dot when you're taking shots on birds out between 30-50 yards? I have the 8 mil dot too and have a concern about being able to place the dot where I want or to see the gobblers head/neck area at all after about 40 yds.

:fud:     :funnyturkey:

reynolds243

It will cover most of the target. IMO 5moa is perfect but I like smaller then bigger.

Nothing wrong with the 8 as a lot of guys like it just a personal choice of what you like looking at

owlhoot

maybe give some thought to really bright sunny conditions, depending on how bright your dot gets a small dot with some scopes can sometimes be hard to find.