OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's a good call to use on fall turkeys

Started by Roughneck, July 23, 2013, 12:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roughneck

Have a fall hunt for Kansas this year I'm booking an would like some input on what kind of call might work since they won't b as vocal as in spring thanks .

land cruiser

strutnrut

I would have to say as a whole that Turkeys are more vocal in the Fall than in the Spring. The Gobblers don't gobble as much but the hens are easy to get fired up. If you get gobblers located then call at them. Jake yelps and cluck will sometimes pull them right in. It's harder to kill fall gobbler because they are not love sick but they are still turkeys.

If you are looking for what type of call. I like a Trumpet and Box Call. If you can get them busted up sit down and listen for them to start calling. Use the kee kee and lost call or call like and Boss Hen assembly yelp. This will work if it is a mixed flock.

Hooksnhorns

When strutnrut gives you advice, I'd suggest taking it. He is a turkey killin machine...
Don't Tread On Me

TRKYHTR

Quote from: strutnrut on July 23, 2013, 08:30:03 AM
I would have to say as a whole that Turkeys are more vocal in the Fall than in the Spring. The Gobblers don't gobble as much but the hens are easy to get fired up. If you get gobblers located then call at them. Jake yelps and cluck will sometimes pull them right in. It's harder to kill fall gobbler because they are not love sick but they are still turkeys.

If you are looking for what type of call. I like a Trumpet and Box Call. If you can get them busted up sit down and listen for them to start calling. Use the kee kee and lost call or call like and Boss Hen assembly yelp. This will work if it is a mixed flock.

This

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

WillowRidgeCalls

When your hunting fall birds, match the calls of the birds your hunting. If your after gobblers, then use gobbler calls, slow deep raspy yelps-gobbles-keeyelps-clucks-fighting purrs. If your after hens/poults, use old hen talk, yelps-clucks-keeyelps-kee kees-assembly calls-lost calls. In the fall you don't have to be an expert caller to match every call perfectly, it's a great time to learn to run new calls that your not as good running as in the spring, there is no such thing as calling to much or to loud, birds are very vocal in the fall, so it's a good time to learn to run calls that your not used to running. Any type of call will work just fine, it's more important to match the cadence of your calling than the sound of your calling. I enjoy the fall hunts more than the spring hunts, because you get to hear a lot more turkey sounds and different calls than you ever will in the spring, and they seem a bit easier to call in the fall. I take between 5-10 birds a year in the fall, location is everything because birds won't travel long distances like they will in the spring. Just use any call your comfortable running.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

pappy

SCATTER 'EM BOYS SCATTER 'EM! Fall hunting is all about locating the flock and working them after you have found them. Once you find the flock, scatter them. After the turkeys have scattered they will start regrouping. Hide in a location close to the turkeys and imitate their sounds by using a calling device such as a turkey box caller or a trumpet call. In the spring turkeys are attracted to mating sounds, but in the fall they are more attracted to gobbles and clucking sounds. Gobblers use the fall and winter as a time to create an order of dominance within the flock.
So, most of the calls used will have to lean in the direction of the gobbler and also regrouping of a scattered flock...one such call is the Kee-Kee...."hey I am here, where are you?" used by the growing poults, another is assembly calls, a series of controlled yelps, 6 to 10, this will attract any older hen looking to relocate her bunch or the group as a whole.... another one is the fighting purr, a series of fast clucks and purrs, now this isn't one for the trumpet call, but a slate or a mouth call can do this, I would prefer a good slate, since my false teeth my fly out of my mouth while trying to do this...LOL...I really think that patience is the key, once you have found and scattered sit back a call and listen and learn. I would suggest you carry a trumpet around your neck and a slate in your vest, a Jet Slate style is good too, as you won't need something to blow their ear drums out...

my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Roughneck

Thanks for all the advice from everyone an thank u mr. Hudson for talking to me for nearly an hour on the phone. Looking forward to getting your call this week