turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

H&R SB-2 QUESTION

Started by Rem Man, July 15, 2013, 06:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem Man

Hi guys I just wanted to see if any of you guys have any experience with these guns? I never had a 10 gauge but own a pile of turkey guns! I always wanted a 10 to mess with. I found a as new mossy oak H&R with a kicks choke, a sling, sims recoil pad and 50 rounds of ammo for $300.00 I just wanted to see some reviews on how these guns shoot etc. I also wanted to know from you guys what the advantage if any over a 12 gauge and why you guys choose to shoot the BIG OL 10! THANKS!!!

Old Gobbler

A regular h&r threaded for chokes is worth $250-300 just by it self , if he is throwing in good ammo and the kicks is  a 690-695 its a good deal

Ask to testpattern the gun? -- Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

jerf

I have one and put the synthetic handi stock thumbhole stock on it, Have a indiancreek .710 choke tube and shoot nitro straight 7 shot and like it.

decoykrvr

With 21/4 oz. loads, my 10 ga.H&R kicks less than any of my 12 ga 31/2" guns w/similar 21/4 oz. loads at the same fps which is a result of gun weight and barrel I.D.  The 40 yd patterns are an even 20" w/ a denser 10" core which averages > 235 HTL #6's.  I personally prefer a turkey pattern which allows for a clean kill anywhere within a 20" diameter @ 40 yards.

sixbird

I have one and my experience was that it wouldn't pattern with any ammo I tried with the factory choke tube (and I tried quite a few). The next move was from a local gun shop...They suggested a Rhino choke tube. Better, but still not what I would call good. Then someone recommended Nitro ammo (at that time from New York state...He has since moved). That did make a substantial difference...This combo was a patterning dream! There wasn't a 1/2" that didn't have a pellet in it at 40 yds. I don't think a fly could have survived a 40 yd. shot from that gun...
Now, you paid a price in recoil! I always tell people that I wasn't sure who was getting the worst end of that deal, me or the turkey! It hurt! But, if I was "on", no turkey walked away...That and the muzzle blast was horrendous! I ended up getting a couple of game ears because of it.
It was kind of fun to shoot because it flattened anything that was in it's path...Thick brush, branches...Hah, that thing would clear a path! Of course you better have the recoil pad right on your shoulder or it felt like a trained boxer just blasted you with a jab to the chest!
It is a novelty, I'll give you that...And I wouldn't discourage anyone from owning one...Just be aware that that baby will KICK! At least the way mine was set up...

sixbird

To qualify above...The Nitro loads were hot and carried a 3 or 3 1/2 oz. shot charge...Huge contributor to recoil of course...

WildTigerTrout

My first 10 Ga. was a H&R with the 24" barrel and factory choke. Mine patterned very well with several different lead loads. If I recall correctly it shot the best patterns with the "old" Federal Premium 2 1/4 oz #6 shot. The down side is Federal does'nt make them anymore. I ended up selling the H&R when I bought my Browning 10 ga. BPS. I really saw no need to own two 10 ga. shotguns.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!