turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help with a Mossy 835 and Hevi 13 #7's!

Started by Buxndiverdux, March 09, 2011, 08:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buxndiverdux

My 835 is a 24" ported turkey gun. I deep cleaned and polished the barrel. It's slick. I patterned the gun at 30,40 and 50 before I polished and after. I didn't notice much gain at 30 or 40. But I did consistenly pick up an extra 15-20 in the 10 at 50. I've been shooting EM Hevi 13 3" # 7's and they have been patterning better than the EM Hevi 13 #5,6,7.  I have tried the stock choke, a .690 Jelly Head, a .690 Tight Wad, and a .670 Pure Gold. The best results have been the Pure Gold. Easily beating the Tight Wad and the stock tube and Jelly Head weren't even close. These are definately the best patterns I've ever shot, but they don't seem to be up to par from what I've seen on this site. So I am looking for some suggestions and opinions. Are my patterns bad, average, or what? Would you consider this gun a legitimate 50 yard turkey gun? I cleaned my barrel and choke between shots, it was 70* and 5-10 mph breeze which is not much of an issue IMO. My 30 yard patterns have been averaging 300 in 10". Here are some pics of my patterns. 40yd

50 yd

50 yd after adjusting site

Gobble!

ILIKEHEVI-13

The Pure Gold beat the others not because of it being a better choke but because of the exit diameter alone was where it needed to be.  That's not meaning Pure Gold isn't a better choke than the others.  But you got to compare apples to apples.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Take that same Pure Gold choke in otherwords and compare it to chokes with the same exit diameter and you will get my drift.  Star Dots, Indian Creek, Tru-Glo SSX chokes just to name a few will be a good test to see which choke shoots the best in your gun with about the same exit diameter or up to say .675.

Buxndiverdux

ILIKEHEVI-13

For the money, the Tru-Glo SSX will be a hard choke to beat.  I have a Star Dot, and a .675 Indian Creek.  I guess it just depends on what day you test them which one will come out on top.  

Buxndiverdux

StarDot is out of business right? Will Cabelas take a choke back if the box is opened?

BowBendr

Look at all these NC Hunt&Fish guys up in here. Killer site ain't it Buxndiverdux ?
Good to see you over here posting.
:welcomeOG:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Yep Star Dot chokes are no longer being made. 

Buxndiverdux

Quote from: BowBendr on March 09, 2011, 10:54:09 PM
Look at all these NC Hunt&Fish guys up in here. Killer site ain't it Buxndiverdux ?
Good to see you over here posting.
:welcomeOG:

It's a great site. I wish I'd seen it sooner.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Gobble! on March 09, 2011, 08:53:49 PM
give the 3.5" #7s a try

I agree with that.

Your wanting around 250 or more in a 10" at 40yds.  With the right choke and the 3.5' #7's you should be able to obtain that.  Well that's at least what I like to have. 

chatterbox

Quote from: Buxndiverdux on March 09, 2011, 10:50:20 PM
StarDot is out of business right? Will Cabelas take a choke back if the box is opened?
Cabelas will take it back. I had asked them if I could return my jellyhead if I didn't like it even after I shot through it, and they were good with it. Excellent company.

S.C.C

IMO,don't give up on the choke you have now until you at least shoot some 3.5 2.25 6's and 7's!! :icon_thumright:

You will be surprised with the jump in pattern density out of your 835!!

Ctomp1974

I don't shoot 7's, but the 835 & that pure gold will give you 220+ in a 10" @ 40 using 3.5" 6's. I have an Indian creek and the stardot and the puregold is the only choke that will run with or beat those two in an 835. Maybe VAHUNTER will post a pic for you. I think hes getting high 230's or maybe 240's with 6's. I've spent hundreds on chokes over the past few years and come to the conclusion that those 3 chokes are the best for that gun. If anything, I would try the 3.5".

:anim_25:
Clint

Ctomp1974