turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835??????

Started by Trevor2, March 09, 2011, 07:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor2

What is a good choke to shoot through an 835 when shooting winchester supreme high velocity 3 1/2 #5?
Strutstopper

Jourdan_D

got good results form a kick's .680 and a pure gold with #5's when i was shooting lead. Pure gold did shot better but not by much.

VAHUNTER

i got great patterns with lead loads with the Ultra full turkey choke that came with my 835. i was getting in the 140's at 40yds. got great patterns  with .670 PG as well
Good things come to those who wait

Trevor2

Its my cousins gun im trying to help him with and he was looking at the tru glo gobble stopper .695, would that be too loose or what. His still has the factory choke in it, but it blows the pattern, his factory choke is a xtra full.
Strutstopper

Jourdan_D

IMO it's to open for lead and that ammount of shot.  you should be choking somewhere in the .670 to .680 range......

VAHUNTER

i would rather start closer to a .680  with lead. if he is really wanting to get his #'s up and extend his range i would look at a Jelly Head or .670 Pure gold with Hevi13 21/4oz or 2oz loads. all depends on what he is looking for.

with the right choke/lead load he could still have a 40 +yard turkey gun

if he goes with a Hevi approved choke and Hevi13 he will be getting a 50+ yard gun
Good things come to those who wait

Trevor2

Does anyone have any ideas on what an xtra full choke size is, diameter wise?
Strutstopper

harvester

Quote from: Trevor2 on March 09, 2011, 08:04:29 PM
Does anyone have any ideas on what an xtra full choke size is, diameter wise?

Factory choke is .695
I shoot a hastings .680 with federal flitecontrol. Kills em dead at 40.

surehuntsalot

I have a "factory full .710" that came with my 835 that will do some damage with lead 4's 5's or 6's

Winchester 3.5" 2-1/4oz #4's

Winchester 3.5" 2-1/4oz #5's

Winchester 3.5" 2-1/4oz #6's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SR1

I run that load out of mine(2oz win hv #5's) and it was the best with a Jelly Head tube.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]