turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Questions about forcing cones and edm porting

Started by valimbhanger, June 11, 2013, 06:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valimbhanger

Hello everyone. I got a bran spankin new Benelli SBE II with a 26" barrel that I'm going to set up as a designated turkey gun for next season. I have a couple questions about some custom barrel work and just wonder if it's needed to get this gun to be about the best it can be.
First, there's the EDM porting. I know it really doesn't do anything for pattern density, but wonder if it really hold you better on target for follow ups? I guess in theory it sounds like it would.
Second, I've been reading that lengthening the forcing cone in the barrel from 2.75" to 3" will give me a more consistent pattern? That it will take out most of the strays?
I know selecting a turkey choke is allot of trial and error/testing, but if I decided to go with a "non ported" choke, even though I don't plan to shoot Federal's flight control shells, would there be any negatives to this?
I'm sorry about all these questions, but I'm really considering getting this work done if it's going to improve my setup. Which leads me to my last question, would or could doing any of these things have a negative effect on the performance or value of my gun? Thanks, Ron 

Ridge Rooster

IMO the very best thing you can do to have an awesome turkey killing machine out to ranges not allowed to talk about here, is the Rhino/Nitro combination! It will save you a lot of experimentation, because I doubt that you will be able to beat the combo with any other. It is a little expensive, but will actually save you money in the long run. With this combo, you will not need to have anything done to the barrel. I would suggest maybe an optic, and trigger work.

Just my opinion!

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

valimbhanger

Ridge Rooster

Sorry I really didn't answer the question you were asking, but I have had several things done to try to improve my patterns, to several different guns, and the Rhino/Nitro combo made the most difference. Just figured I would share my experience as well as several converts I hunt with, and maybe save you some money. I have also had good luck with the mag blends out of my Rhino Choke after running out of Nitro's. If you are interested check out their website, and good luck with what ever you decide, also order way in advance cause they really get busy before turkey season. The SBE2 is an awesome gun, wish I had not sold mine!

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

SumToy

Just get you some HV13 7's and a good choke.  It will give you a cushion if you miss read the bird. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

allaboutshooting

Quote from: valimbhanger on June 11, 2013, 06:26:50 PM
Hello everyone. I got a bran spankin new Benelli SBE II with a 26" barrel that I'm going to set up as a designated turkey gun for next season. I have a couple questions about some custom barrel work and just wonder if it's needed to get this gun to be about the best it can be.
First, there's the EDM porting. I know it really doesn't do anything for pattern density, but wonder if it really hold you better on target for follow ups? I guess in theory it sounds like it would.
Second, I've been reading that lengthening the forcing cone in the barrel from 2.75" to 3" will give me a more consistent pattern? That it will take out most of the strays?
I know selecting a turkey choke is allot of trial and error/testing, but if I decided to go with a "non ported" choke, even though I don't plan to shoot Federal's flight control shells, would there be any negatives to this?
I'm sorry about all these questions, but I'm really considering getting this work done if it's going to improve my setup. Which leads me to my last question, would or could doing any of these things have a negative effect on the performance or value of my gun? Thanks, Ron

First of all, congratulations. You have a very fine shotgun and one that should give you a lifetime of excellent service. I've been shooting Benelli shotguns for over 21 years and have never had one fail me.

As you may know, Rob Roberts of "Gobbler Guns" and "Rob Roberts's Custom Gun Works" does the custom work for Benelli U.S.A. He is a real believer in both lengthening the forcing cone and EDM porting of those guns. He can also do other custom work on that SBE II to make an already fine gun into an even finer one.

Rob also has his own line of turkey chokes and can customize your gun/choke to a particular shotshell.

You can give him a call and discuss your goals, what you have in mind as far as performance, etc.

If I were considering having work done to that fine gun, that's where I'd send it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

CrustyRusty

Personally, I would iron out that gun before sinking a ton of money into it for what may only be marginal increases in performance.   Its a great gun as it is and mine with a Rhino choke and hevi 6's gave me the patterns I wanted and thought were good for ethically taking a bird at reasonable ranges.  I also used a Pure Gold choke that gave unbelievably even patterns. 

A lot of people swear by custom work, but if the gun does what you want it to as is, then put your money into something else.   Sometimes a deep clean as Clark alludes to often will make a world of difference, and its a lot cheaper than custom work.

RidgeRooster has good advice also and that combo is well documented and proven.

vaturkey

Before you sink alot of money into an already awesome gun I would try a few different chokes & loads. Here's my SBE 2 with a 24" barrel. Haymaker .670 choke with 3 1/2" Magblends @ 40 yds lasered.

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

valimbhanger

First off, thanks a ton for all the recomendations on my setup! I've talked a couple times via email with Rob Roberts on what I have and what he can do for me. He is no doubt a great guy with a wealth of knowledge about great shooting turkey guns.
I think for the present time I'm going to go with mosts recommendations here and start off with a thorough barrel cleaning and pattern a few chokes to see what I have.
I've already picked up a heavy 13 choke in .667, but I'm going to look into the Rhino and Pure Gold chokes also.
I shot my 870 last season with the heavy shot mag blends and they put out a real nice pattern with a kicks .665 choke
Sounds like I've got some work to do for the time being and it's gonna be fun working up a nice combo on this gun I'm sure!
Thanks everyone!!