turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best 12 Gauge Turkey Load

Started by wa1sth, June 04, 2013, 09:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMC0331

That's (Nitro ammo). I misspelled it in my 5th sentence.

CrustyRusty

Good thing you caught that before the grammar police found it :you_rock:

Quote from: USMC0331 on June 06, 2013, 09:22:04 AM
That's (Nitro ammo). I misspelled it in my 5th sentence.

wa1sth

LOTS of good info here..Thanks to all for the input.  Looked at Nitros..WOW   really expensive and I am very free with money when it comes to hunting stuff.  I from what I have seen on here the normal question is "are they REALLY worth it???"..might have to try some to find out.  Looks like Hevi 13 in 7 shot comes closest after Nitros??

Punisher

In lead, Win. HV 3.5/2/4, Win. XX Mag. 3.5/2.25/4, and Turkey Thug 3.5/2/5 through the Win. SX2.  When running non-tox through the SX2 I run Nitro 4x5x7s or Win. Ext Range 3.5/2/4 or 3.5/2/6.  Through the ten I run the Nitro 101L (3.5/3/4) or Win XX Mag. #4s.  Through the twenty I shoot Fed Hvy #6s or #7s.  Although all are effective, I have become partial to the twenty, and I always love shooting a gobbler with a big ole load of #4s through the 10 ga. or the Win. SX2.

surehuntsalot

the best all around turkey shell is the Winchester XX Magnum (red hull) #6  3" or 3.5"
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

01Foreman400

Nitro Ammo Company in 12 ga.  Federal Heavyweights in 20 ga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

hookedspur

This is answered with cost not being a factor and IMHO only. ;D
1 -TSS if you can load it
2 -Nitro 7s next
3 -Hevi 13 6 or 7 what ever your setup shoots the best
4 -Fed HW 7s last they shoot very well but hard for me to get them to work with any of my setups

If I could make a Grapf on this it would look like this

1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  :z-winnersmiley:

2------------------------------------------------------------- :icon_thumright:

3---------------------------- ;D

4------------ :)
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

jrseale82

SpursNbeards

Hevi 13  6's, 7's. most consistent patterns without hand loading or paying nitro prices.

Ridge Rooster

Nitro shells are expensive, but the last box of Mag Blends I bought were not to far behind. Only bought the Mag Blends cause I ran out of Nitro's and waited to late to re-order. You need to order them way before spring as they really get backed up. If you look at the money you will save by skipping the experimentation process that you usually have to do with a lot of other chokes and shells, you would probably actually be money ahead with ordering the Rhino/Nitro combo for you gun. I have also read reports of the Primos Jelly head producing excellent patterns with Nitro, as well as Indian Creek, but I have no first had experience with either choke. I have been using the Rhino/Nitro combo for a long time and have killed turkeys, one by a severe range estimation era, a lot further than I should. I don't buy these shells to shoot turkeys at long range, but I do like the fact that if I miss judge a bird, I have a cushion. In most years I usually shoot maybe four shells, so the last box of 25 has lasted me several years. I think when I re-order I might go with straight 7 shot, I have been using the 4x5x7 blend.

Good Luck with what ever you choose, the above is just my opinion based on first had experience and a lot of messing around with different shells and chokes, though I haven't messed with a lot of the new stuff out, since I started using the Rhino/Nitro combo, I have not had a need for further experimenting.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

stinkpickle