OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting turkeys in the hills ?

Started by Basin_hunter, March 09, 2011, 09:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basin_hunter

I am a newbie as far as hunting turkeys in the hills. I have always hunted them in flat woods / swamps. I went out and did some scouting yesterday morning in a new area and was able to locate 3 gobbling birds. 2 out of the 3 I pretty much pegged their locations. They were roosted at the base of a hill near a creek. Will turkeys normally walk up hill, Or do they typically walk down hill, when flying down from the roost ? The rain had me heading back to the truck before I could determine which way they flew down. I am trying to figure out an approach for these birds and was looking for some tips from the experienced hill hunters here. Any info or tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

:gobble:
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

archery1

my buddy has been hunting turkey for years. he swears turkey will come either up or down hill. far away.  fast or slow. just at their own pace. they have a small brain,,, best eyesight.. if they could smell.......well we would probably never  kill one....
Take a kid hunting

hobbes

There is one thing that dictates which way a turkey walks, up or down hill, after flydown in the spring..................where he wants to set up shop to find hens.  If they are already with him, he'll head whichever direction they do.  You can set up uphill one morning and he'll decide to go downhill.  Move dowhill and he'll go uphill.  That is just turkey hunting.  Its the days you meet in the middle that keep you  trying.

If turkeys all headed uphill, I'd eventually have all the Easterns, Osceolas, Rios and Merriams I could stand right here in the CO mountains.  After they got here they'd probably all be confused because they couldn't go uphill anymore.  There are no real rules that say he'll head uphill or downhill other than the made up rules some hunters have applied.  The rule I prefer is turkeys will usually travel uphill except for the days they prefer to travel downhill.

I prefer to set up uphill, unless I know he has a reason to take off downhill.  Your best bet is to listen in on the birds before season and see if there is a direction they prefer to travel and set up there.

Hopefully my response is as disorganized and confusing as a turkey's reasoning for moving one direction or the other on any given morning.

mossy835

I noticed that over here they went to the direction of water and food (no swamps where I hunt) which is usually down hill over all. But they have flown across water and fields to another small hill to land and take off walking? Makes it fun though.

Basin_hunter

Thanks Guys. I read somewhere, but don't remember where, as a general rule of thumb it is very hard to make a gobbler walk up hill when working him. Last year on opening day I chased one up and down several ridges that was following his hens around. The hens pitched down from the roost tree about 15-20yards in front of me and I thought for sure the gobbler would have done the same, but they walked to him then the chase was on until I eventually lost them.

jshively

I prefer to set up toward the top.  Now he will go where he wants to, but I always feel as though  I have a better chance of him not spotting me when I am higher, versus having him look down at me.  Wished it worked more often - but that makes it interesting. :smiley-char092:

Kylongspur88

Take the high ground it's easier to listen from there and if you hear one up top your already there, but if you hear one down low it's an easier walk. I've had more luck calling up hill but they will go down hill too. I have found that generally the birds here roost below the ridge where they can pitch into the side of the hill at fly down. Be patient it may take a mountain bird more time to work into you than a flat land bird. IF you spook one off the roost in the morning trying to slip in, and I have done this, forget about it because he has glided into the next zip code. I try to get close but still keep my distance.

hookedspur

I like setting up high but they will go up or down
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Basin_hunter

I busted one 2 years ago in the swamp that looked like he flew into the next zip code. LOL I never saw where he ended up landing either. Thanks again guys,

gatortrax35

Basin where u from? Deville, here. Good to see some Louisiana boys on the forums!

Basin_hunter

Quote from: gatortrax35 on March 09, 2011, 08:11:32 PM
Basin where u from? Deville, here. Good to see some Louisiana boys on the forums!

I live north of Washington La in St Landry Parish.