turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkeys and rifles

Started by shootumindaface, February 07, 2011, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootumindaface

Seeings that my question has dissolved in the other rifle thread.. Here it is again in new words..

Is it any less sporting to call a bird into 30 yards and shoot him in the head with a rifle than with a shotgun?

I understand the safety aspects of rifles and the pre conceived notion that everybody is shooting birds at 50 +.. But if I guy was to tote his 22LR and shoot birds at 40 and in, in the head is he any less of a hunter than a guy toting a 12 gauge putting 300+ in a ten inch circle at the same distance..

I am in now way an advocate of rifle hunting turkeys, but with modern shotguns and ammo I would consider the above a greater challenge than a shotgun killed bird at the same range.

knightrider

at that distance one 22 bullet in the head is harder to do than 300 out of my shotgun :fud:

runngun

My opinion for what its worth. Yes it would be less sporting. I would not call ducks or geese in let them set down and shoot at them with a rifle so a turkey would be no different. There are some things that are meant to be shot with a shotgun. To each his own, but not for me.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

jtg88

As long as the bird is inside 50 yards I would consider shooting it with a rifle just as sporting as with a shotgun.  If someone is trying to shoot them in the head with a .22 LR then that would definitely be harder than doing the same with a shotgun.  That head is never still and I'd imagine if you don't hit the spinal cord or skull he would probably fly off.

turkey_slayer

A buddy and me was going to try that last year. Bet was to shoot one in the head within 50 yards with a 17 hmr.  Loser had to fill up the others truck with gas  :TooFunny: In my opinion that would be a lot harder than shooting one with a shotgun using that scenario especially since we hunt timber birds and getting them to stop moving their head would hard enough much less getting them to stop in a clear shooting lane.  I guess thats why we both chickened out  :lol:

VAHUNTER

it is the distance that is involved that turns me away from the rifle hunters. i do not know 1 person that uses a rifle that would try to call a bird into 30 or 40 yards before taking the shot. most of the snipers do not even make a call they just send one thriugh the body at 150yds.

Good things come to those who wait

bowhunter32

x2...my dad shot a longbeard 2 seasons ago...pouring dwn rain on a farm just dwn the road..apon further inspection half of the turkeys breast was missing??????????..apparently the victum of a TURD who was shooting his rifles long range @ the same place.....looked like the injury was a few weeks old..turkey seemed to have no ill affects??? leave it to my old man to shoot the crippled ones :lol:..so kinda leaves bad tasre in my mouth...its not always about the kill...just being there!!{ok..maybe it does have something to do with the killn' :you_rock:}

Reloader

Shootem,

I feel it would be much more of a challenge with a rimfire.  I personally would opt for the 22WMR and body shots, but even then I wouldn't be shooting past what a great shotgun combo would do.  I would hunt a bit with a 22WMR if legal and I really don't care what anyone thinks about it.  I'm all for new challenges and I honestly feel that even with body shots the 22WMR would be a far greater challenge than a shotgun. For me it would as I'd be waiting for the perfect shot op just like a bow hunter.  Xbows are legal here, very similar approach.

I talked to an older guy once that said he'd killed alot of turkeys with a 22LR during fall rifle seasons. He said he would wait til they were facing away at close range and shoot them in the back btwn the wings. Said it dropped them every time.

Shotgun is so much easier than the above and we all need some margin for error in intense situations.

Reloader

shootumindaface

Quote from: Reloader on February 08, 2011, 11:33:25 AM
Shootem,

I feel it would be much more of a challenge with a rimfire.  I personally would opt for the 22WMR and body shots, but even then I wouldn't be shooting past what a great shotgun combo would do.  I would hunt a bit with a 22WMR if legal and I really don't care what anyone thinks about it.  I'm all for new challenges and I honestly feel that even with body shots the 22WMR would be a far greater challenge than a shotgun. For me it would as I'd be waiting for the perfect shot op just like a bow hunter.  Xbows are legal here, very similar approach.

I talked to an older guy once that said he'd killed alot of turkeys with a 22LR during fall rifle seasons. He said he would wait til they were facing away at close range and shoot them in the back btwn the wings. Said it dropped them every time.

Shotgun is so much easier than the above and we all need some margin for error in intense situations.

Reloader

And I guess that is what I am getting at is it the "weapon" or is it the "situation" that determines whether it is ethical or not..

On here over the years and every expert has tried to tag the importance of each aspect of calling up a bird inside 40 yards from woodsmanship to calling, concealment etc etc And shooting is always lumped in the 5 percentile category for most.. So if you are doing the other 95 percent right and killing birds close is the weapon a huge consideration..

Like I stated before I have no ambition to kill one with a rifle. But if a guy went out there and yacked birds up inside 40 yards and shot them with a rifle, I really couldnt look down on him either..

joshua

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 08, 2011, 06:34:51 AM
it is the distance that is involved that turns me away from the rifle hunters. i do not know 1 person that uses a rifle that would try to call a bird into 30 or 40 yards before taking the shot. most of the snipers do not even make a call they just send one thriugh the body at 150yds.

:agreed:
I'm not gonna cast judgment against anyone.  If its legal where you live then have at it.  But it's not my cup of tea.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

knightrider

if its legal dead is dead no matter how it got that way :fud:

gordongekko

To say there is a difference in what you're talking about would be like saying a person who uses a mouth call is less sporting than one who uses a slate...the tools don't define a sportsman, it is the acts of the hunter that do....
In God we trust; all others pay cash.

shad309

California will let you use a pellet gun for turkeys