OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

#6 shot size ?

Started by coyote1, May 15, 2013, 01:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Clucker

If it patterns well at 40 yd. and out of a magnum load with a velocity of at least 1090fps,they will kill, but over the years I have hunted, the cripples and barely killed turkeys inside of 40 yd, were from lead 6's, this was years ago before good turkey loads came along,I switched to hevi shot and heavy weight shot a around 7 years ago, and have yet to lose 1, and some have been killed past the max range said to be on here.Hevi shot 6 or 7's are deadly as anything on turkeys,and the federal heavyweight 7's are murder, Penetration ! and bone breaking to say the least,you got to have it, hvl loads are hard and will not flatten or stick to a skull or neck bone,it will slam through it and go on .Shoot lead 6's all you feel like,but do not cry when a turkey leaves you. Good Luck.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

WildTigerTrout

#6 copperplated lead is my favorite. I use 10 and 12 ga. Win. "Supreme" HV 2oz. loads and have no problem taking out old tom at 40 yards plus or minus a few yards. Pattern density is the key to clean kills no matter what size shot you are using!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

budtripp

Quote from: Lucky Clucker on May 17, 2013, 11:29:46 PM
If it patterns well at 40 yd. and out of a magnum load with a velocity of at least 1090fps,they will kill, but over the years I have hunted, the cripples and barely killed turkeys inside of 40 yd, were from lead 6's, this was years ago before good turkey loads came along,I switched to hevi shot and heavy weight shot a around 7 years ago, and have yet to lose 1, and some have been killed past the max range said to be on here.Hevi shot 6 or 7's are deadly as anything on turkeys,and the federal heavyweight 7's are murder, Penetration ! and bone breaking to say the least,you got to have it, hvl loads are hard and will not flatten or stick to a skull or neck bone,it will slam through it and go on .Shoot lead 6's all you feel like,but do not cry when a turkey leaves you. Good Luck.

I find that rather odd, after watching my buddy flatten a gobbler this season at 46 yards with a load of 3.5" win xx 6's. Broken neck, not going ANYWHERE. Upon inspection later I noticed about a dozen bloody holes on the opposite side of the birds head/neck from which it was shot. Yes, the puny lead 6's completely penetrated the bird at that distance. 40yds=not a problem

jblackburn

Quote from: coyote1 on May 15, 2013, 01:42:19 PM
Do you guys think this is a good shot size to use out to 40 yards? I use #4's now but would like to switch to the 6's for the higher pellet count.

I only use 6's and 40 is no problem with the right choke/shell combo.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Longshanks

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 15, 2013, 10:36:50 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on May 15, 2013, 10:01:52 PM
I'm shooting 160-170 in a 10 @ 40 with Pb 6's. it will put em down @ 40 yds. I've shot combos that were closer to 100 in 10 @ 40 and had no problems killing turkeys from 35-40 with Pb 6's.

And tell the folks what gun, choke, and load your using.

Rem 870SM/ ventilator .655/ win 3/2/6's Pb

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Longshanks on May 20, 2013, 04:46:24 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 15, 2013, 10:36:50 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on May 15, 2013, 10:01:52 PM
I'm shooting 160-170 in a 10 @ 40 with Pb 6's. it will put em down @ 40 yds. I've shot combos that were closer to 100 in 10 @ 40 and had no problems killing turkeys from 35-40 with Pb 6's.

And tell the folks what gun, choke, and load your using.

Rem 870SM/ ventilator .655/ win 3/2/6's Pb

That's incredible.  I guess I'm going to have to buy me another one of them Ventilator .655 chokes since I gave mine away to my buddy's son.  Can I ask what load are you shooting?  Is that the high velocity?

Longshanks

Its the Win XX 3" 2 ounce load. The black box/red shell. It will shoot good patterns with the super -X    1 7/8 (grey box) and the HV 1 3/4( black box) loads as well although the numbers aren't nearly as high.(130's-140's)  . Kinda confusing with the new shells. Looks like they are calling the HV shells.. XX as well on the new boxes. I haven't tryed the Win 3.5/2.25/6's. I would imagine it would shoot a heck of a pattern but would kick like a mule.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Longshanks on May 21, 2013, 08:41:19 AM
Its the Win XX 3" 2 ounce load. The black box/red shell. It will shoot good patterns with the super -X    1 7/8 (grey box) and the HV 1 3/4( black box) loads as well although the numbers aren't nearly as high.(130's-140's)  . Kinda confusing with the new shells. Looks like they are calling the HV shells.. XX as well on the new boxes. I haven't tryed the Win 3.5/2.25/6's. I would imagine it would shoot a heck of a pattern but would kick like a mule.

Thank you. 

Longshanks

Quote from: jblackburn on May 20, 2013, 04:22:43 PM
Quote from: coyote1 on May 15, 2013, 01:42:19 PM
Do you guys think this is a good shot size to use out to 40 yards? I use #4's now but would like to switch to the 6's for the higher pellet count.

I only use 6's and 40 is no problem with the right choke/shell combo.

Yup, win XX , super X, and HV 6's are all I shoot in my leadslingers.  Inside 40 they are killers. I can't remember losing a turkey with them. I have missed a couple turkeys up close with Nitro 4x5x7 and that's the only turkeys I have lost in allot of years.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteShoot lead 6's all you feel like,but do not cry when a turkey leaves you.

I've noticed over the years that nobody ever questions the power of #5 Lead.