OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

#6 shot size ?

Started by coyote1, May 15, 2013, 01:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote1

I think my choke is ok,  i average 9-10 pellets in the vitals at 40 yards with the 4's. I figure if i switch to 5's or 6's i could increase the count at that range. Hevi-shot is a little out of my price range. I looked them up, is $25 for five right?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: coyote1 on May 16, 2013, 12:32:53 AM
I think my choke is ok,  i average 9-10 pellets in the vitals at 40 yards with the 4's. I figure if i switch to 5's or 6's i could increase the count at that range.

Well a lot of it depends on what size turkey target your actually shooting at makes a huge difference on your outcome of hits to the vitals. 

If you made the switch to Hevi-13 loads in either 6's or 7's you would smoke your lead 4 10" numbers by double with the 6's and maybe even triple with the 7's.   

ILIKEHEVI-13

That's providing you upgrade your choke more than likely and find one that shoots better than the Undertaker. 

coyote1

ILIKEHEVI-13

I won't steer you wrong.  I will bet money that Star Dot choke will shoot the loads I told you about so much better than what patterns your getting now with lead 4's.  Don't forget about the rebate I told you about by going here.

http://www.hevishot.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=16&Itemid=65

darn2ten

Hevi 13 weights 12 g/cc, lead usually between 10.7 to 11.2 g/cc. There is not that much difference between the two. If you have a good patterning lead #6 combo it will kill one at 40 yds. just as dead as hevi #6. Hevi #6 will pattern better with the right combo, just have to ask yourself if it's really worth spending the extra money on hevi. I shoot lead so my answer is no.

davisd9

Lead #6s does not always break the neck at 40 yards.  When shooting lead I was scared to shoot many birds that were probably 35- 40 yards because I was unsure if the lead would do its job.  Had many of birds that I shot with lead #5s at 35 - 40 yards just get stunned.  At that time you shot the bird and jumped up and ran as fast as you could to it so that if it did not break the neck and just stunned the bird you could get you foot on his neck before he got his bearings back.  Copper plated lead was better but still never took no chances.  Hevi-Shot #6 is like shooting a lead #4 with more hits on the bird.  These days as 35 - 40 yards with Hevi #6s I squeeze the trigger, watch him drop, say my thank you prayer, then slowly make my way to the bird. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ILIKEHEVI-13

I remember back when I used to shoot the old Fed Remium gold box 3" 2oz copper plated #6's that patterned better than any other 3" lead shell at the time.  I shot one farther than I care to mention here that killed him no problemo.  And that was with a 21" barrel 870.  At 40yds with this load any bird I shot would have been toast. 

stinkpickle

Quote from: davisd9 on May 16, 2013, 02:05:23 PM
Lead #6s does not always break the neck at 40 yards.  When shooting lead I was scared to shoot many birds that were probably 35- 40 yards because I was unsure if the lead would do its job.  Had many of birds that I shot with lead #5s at 35 - 40 yards just get stunned.  At that time you shot the bird and jumped up and ran as fast as you could to it so that if it did not break the neck and just stunned the bird you could get you foot on his neck before he got his bearings back.  Copper plated lead was better but still never took no chances.  Hevi-Shot #6 is like shooting a lead #4 with more hits on the bird.  These days as 35 - 40 yards with Hevi #6s I squeeze the trigger, watch him drop, say my thank you prayer, then slowly make my way to the bird.

Which #6's and #5's were you shooting that only stunned birds?

davisd9

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 16, 2013, 03:09:50 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on May 16, 2013, 02:05:23 PM

Which #6's and #5's were you shooting that only stunned birds?

Federals and Winchesters.  I would not say it happened alot, but it was always a possibility past 35 yards. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

darn2ten

I'm going to have to say if your not killing birds at 35 to 40 yds clean and only stunning them, that has alot more to do with your gun and choke combo or you poa/poi is off. I shoot #5's most of the time and have shot my share of #6's as well. I have never shot a bird inside 40 yds. that was only stunned, as a matter of fact most you might as well have hit them with a sledge hammer because they were flattened. I've had the same results with a number of them that were a few yards further than 40 that were a result of misjudged distance.

davisd9

All I can do is speak of my experiences. Others may have seen different results, but I have spoke with veteran hunters and a few would say the same. Guess it goes to show nothing is 100% for everyone.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

BandedSpur

I will have to agree that Pb 6s will kill every turkey you center in the pattern at 40 yds provided you are still putting 100 pellets in a 10" circle. They will penetrate 1.6" of ballistic gel at 40 when launched at 1200 fps (faster is a bonus). I consider 1.25" penetration more than adequate. Out to 40 yds, the only problem with lead is maintaining killing patterns, not pellet energy/penetration.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: BandedSpur on May 16, 2013, 07:38:18 PM
I will have to agree that Pb 6s will kill every turkey you center in the pattern at 40 yds provided you are still putting 100 pellets in a 10" circle. They will penetrate 1.6" of ballistic gel at 40 when launched at 1200 fps (faster is a bonus). I consider 1.25" penetration more than adequate. Out to 40 yds, the only problem with lead is maintaining killing patterns, not pellet energy/penetration.

x2

vt35mag

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 16, 2013, 07:54:13 PM
Quote from: BandedSpur on May 16, 2013, 07:38:18 PM

x2

x3