OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

#6 shot size ?

Started by coyote1, May 15, 2013, 01:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote1

Do you guys think this is a good shot size to use out to 40 yards? I use #4's now but would like to switch to the 6's for the higher pellet count.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Both will work and kill at 40yds.  6 shot will give you more lethal hits to the head and the neck of the bird. 

davisd9

#6  in a heavier than lead shot is more than capable at the 40 yards.  I have shot birds a varying distances with Hevi 6s and dropped them where they stood.  A couple have flopped but most go down like a ton of bricks.  If you are using lead 6s then I would suggest only using copper plated if shooting past 35 yards.  Straight lead 6s can kill out to 40 but I have seen more than my fair share of birds just get stunned by them to just jump up and run off if you do not get to them in time to put your foot on their necks.  In lead I always used #5s.  Heavier than lead #6s is like shooting a lead #4.  Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Skeeterbait

I was never comfortable in the ability of lead #6 to break neck bone or penetrate skull bone at 40 yards.  I think in some cases it will work.  But what happens when a guy says yes I have done it, but he is using a 28 inch barrel and it is leaving his gun at 1300 FPS but you are using a 20" and it is leaving your barrel at 1050 FPS.  Or what about the day you are shooting into a 10 MPH head wind.  I limited my shots to 30 yards back when using lead #6 to give myself a margin for error.

Now Winchester Xtended Range High Density at 1225 FPS or similar in #6, yes.  It will kill at 40 yards every day with ample margin for error.

eddie234

I switched to hevi•shot #6 and would not hesitate to shoot out to 40 yards. Get yourself some tin sheeting and hit the range, see what your gun and ammo will do.
Also winchester no longer makes their xtended range ammo.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

stinkpickle

I've never had a problem with copperplated lead #6's killing out to 40 yards....in fact, I've killed with #7.5's that far before.  Shooting #6's in any popular turkey load should kill just fine, as far as its pattern holds up.

jerf

I killed one once at 49 yards with a winchester high vel. 3 inch 6 shot. I miss judged the distance, but the shell did the job.

blueridgegobbler

I shot federal 3'inch 2oz 7.5s and killed lots in the 40 yard range before I went to Nitros 6s will be fine

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 15, 2013, 05:07:06 PM
I've never had a problem with copperplated lead #6's killing out to 40 yards....in fact, I've killed with #7.5's that far before.  Shooting #6's in any popular turkey load should kill just fine, as far as its pattern holds up.

I agree 100%.  You can shoot a good load of lead 6's at 40yds, and as long as it patterns well the turkey ain't going anywhere as long as you center that pattern over the vitals. 

Longshanks

I'm shooting 160-170 in a 10 @ 40 with Pb 6's. it will put em down @ 40 yds. I've shot combos that were closer to 100 in 10 @ 40 and had no problems killing turkeys from 35-40 with Pb 6's.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Longshanks on May 15, 2013, 10:01:52 PM
I'm shooting 160-170 in a 10 @ 40 with Pb 6's. it will put em down @ 40 yds. I've shot combos that were closer to 100 in 10 @ 40 and had no problems killing turkeys from 35-40 with Pb 6's.

And tell the folks what gun, choke, and load your using.

Punisher

If I am shooting Pb I sort of have a sweet spot for #4s and #5s.  I have killed a pile of turkeys with #4s over the years with some at ranges unspeakable about on here (not that I advocate that sort of practice, but because of poor distance judgement).  I guess it is an old school mentality I still posses from when almost everybody I knew shot #4s.  They will wreck a longbeard when you can find a proper setup using #4s but finding that combo can be alot more time consuming and expensive when compared to shooting the smaller shot which usually produces adequate numbers in a variety of chokes.  You cannot lay a #4 or #5 shot pattern beside a #6 shot pattern and compare them to each other.  That is like comparing apples to oranges.  You have to compare #4 shot patterns to #4 shot patterns and #5 shot patterns to #5 shot patterns.  If I am shooting an HTL load though I have no concern shooting #6s.  The #6 HTL loads will ruin a gobbler's day for sure and finding a combo that will produce consistently killing 40 yard patterns is most of time much easier than with Pb.  Hope this helps.

coyote1

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 15, 2013, 10:36:50 PM

I am shooting a mossberg 500, 28 in barrel, remington nitro #4  1 7/8 oz, H.S undertaker turkey choke .665'' This choke is for lead or cp lead only.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: coyote1 on May 15, 2013, 11:47:07 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 15, 2013, 10:36:50 PM

I am shooting a mossberg 500, 28 in barrel. H.S undertaker turkey choke.

I know where there is a Star Dot .668 choke that is supposed to shoot so well in Moss 500's and Win 1300's if you are interested.  And we need to introduce you to Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's or #6's. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

That Star Dot choke is new in package and the guy said he would take $25 plus shipping.  If your interested, send me a pm.