Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Killing "Bad Boy"

Started by savduck, May 14, 2013, 08:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

At the end of last season, on a day that saw Jim and I shoot three longbeards, we left a old dominant gobbler living. He gobbled and others shut up. Jim was familiar with this bird and had named him " Bad Boy" I've been thinking about him all year and dropped hints to Jim over the months he needed to die this year. As you guys know, Jim hasn't felt all that great this year and really hasn't gone after em much. However he mentioned that he heard ol Bad Boy in his usual haunt twice already this year. That conversation didn't fall of deaf ears.

Well, Jim called and said hell or high water we were gonna make our one hunt this year. I wasn't gonna miss time in the woods with my friend. So off we went. In this morning strategy talk, Jim mentioned hunting very near Bad Boys haunt. Heck yes, say no more. We waited and a bird started gobbling, off we went.

The bird was roosted off the back of a field maybe 120 yards in a creek bottom. We set up and I hit him with some soft tree talk. No more gobbling. I waited and then when time was right through two wing fly downs at him. No gobbling, but a jake or hen starting clucking and yelping. I started talking back, and then next we know turkeys are gobbling again. I started doing my thing. They start responding. 20 minutes or so, I had em in the bottom right in front. One gobble up close. I got ready.

A few minutes passed and nothing was coming up my gap in the swamp. I hit it again and a bird gobbled to my right on the edge of the field. I immediately turned on my tree to face the field. Jim just stayed facing the swamp. I called and scratched leaves and I heard spitting and drumming but never saw the bird. I kept eyes down the field edge. I half turned to say something to Jim, and there was ol Bad Boy at 45 yards straight in front of me. He had come from the other side of the field. He was owning it, lit up by the sun. The most beautiful strutter I think I've seen to date. He turned all of a sudden and started to run, and all I could think was here we go again. My story all season long. I heard ol Jim say " be patient boy, you'll get em".

About that time I see another fan over near where bad boy was running. I told Jim to turn is head and look. Jim goes, I see em, but do you see the third one to the left. No I didn't...that must have been the gobbling bird. Anyway ol bad boy was running gobbler number 2, then must have seen 3 and headed after him. He was now about 65 yards working right to left.

I wasn't gonna let it go south, so I started cutting at em. He stopped and so did gobbler 2. Bad Boy went into Strutt and started gobbling. I had enough, so I reached down and scratched the leaves and did some aggressive purrs. I hear ol Jim go, hear they come boy. I looked back up, and it was on.

Now my dilemma was that gobbler 2 wanted to die faster than bad boy. I wanted bad boy, so I let gobbler two walk right up on me maybe 10 yards. At one point he was maybe 12 feet behind Jim. Ol bad boy waltzed right up, as soon as he cleared a bush, I clucked and blasted him. I was already shucking and swinging at the same time for number 2. He just started to run straight 180 from me. I busted him about 30 yards. Two big gobblers flopping.

I had an immense pride walking out there. I was very joyful to be with my best hunting partner and have him able to share in another hunt with me. He was laughing that big ol Jim laugh, which was also great to hear. We walked up and immediately both of us knew we had ol Bad Boy. Only one turkey in that spot would have that attitude and spurs and body weight.

Bad Boy is pretty special to me. It's a named bird that Jim and I both talked about many times over the last year, and we got him, together. I'm lucky to have a trusted friend like Jim Brown. I think of him like I think of my own Daddy. Im glad this was another memory we got to have together.

Jim, thank you once again. I'm honored to be your friend and look foward to many more hunts. Rest up and get ready, we got some ducks to kill to make up for last year.

Georgia Boy

MDbowman

Great story, great bird, great hunt and most important great friend. Congrats to you!

paboxcall

Congrats Del, that was a great hunt.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

870BkWht

Congrats Del and Jim.  Sounds like a stellar hunt with a great ending.  Thanks for sharing.

jbrown

Del, I'm over joyed that you killed these gobblers, we had an awesome hunt for a very special gobbler! I enjoyed every min huntin with you yesterday in the Red House Field...you know that I love you like my own son. The land we hunted is very special to me and has been in my family for several generations, so huntin with you on this farm is extra special. Tony called and wanted us to hunt the last morin, I didn't feel like huntin, I told him to go with out me. He went to the same field that we hunted yesterday, ALMOST killed 2 long beards. Heres something for you to think about....he heard 6 gobblin birds around the Red House!! I'm aiready thinkin about next season!

savduck

Man that tells you right there we got Bad Boy. They all know he is gone and they are letting loose. Between those 6 and the ones we saw in smoke house....that's a three man limit in just those two fields next year...not even counting jacks field. I'm glad you were there with me to watch that sucker die.

I'm ready to. Sad it's going out today. We have teal season coming pretty quick though.
Georgia Boy

merocustomcalls

Basser69

Congrats on a great hunt guys!!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

eddie234

That's awesome. Congtats

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Nolehoe

Congrats! Why didn't Jim shoot?

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

longbeard11

Absolutely awesome story!! Congrats on a great hunt, with a great friend, that is what its all about!!!!!

savduck

Quote from: Nolehoe on May 16, 2013, 12:01:16 PM
Congrats! Why didn't Jim shoot?

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

He didn't want to. He wanted me to shoot.  I thought earlier in the story I had mentioned we both had our backs to the field facing the creek bottom, guess I didn't. When the birds made their way up into the field, I spent around on the tree. Jim stayed with his back to the field so as not to spook the turkey by moving. I knew that may happen and had selected a tree that I could easy turn around on.  He was watching over his shoulder when I shot.
Georgia Boy

TRKYHTR

Thats awesome Del. It's great to be able to hunt with a good friend. Ol Bad Boy didn't know what he was up against. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck