turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Still hunting

Started by TRKYHTR, May 10, 2013, 08:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

Any of you Trumpet Thumpers still hunting? I was trying to talk my nephew into going but he has baseball. Our youth season and archery season is still going on until next Sunday. I've got gobblers that want to die and nobody to take.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

alloutdoors

Took a friend this morning and killed one, taking another guy in the morning who is looking for his first turkey. Will probably take at least a couple other people here in NY before the season closes at the end of the month. I'm going to be working down in PA over the next two weeks and am thinking I will probably pick up a license there and try to get out a couple mornings.

merocustomcalls

I'm still out there, hoping to get one or two more in Wisconsin.

savduck

I'm at it still. This weekend and I took Tuesday off to go hunt with Jim.

Georgia Boy

VanHelden Game Calls

alloutdoors

Got on four gobblers this morning in PA thanks to a tip from a forum member. Couldn't make it happen today but I learned a lot about what they are doing and should be in pretty good shape the next time around.

merocustomcalls

My fiance and I have been chasing the same gobbler for over two weeks now.  I should have taken him when I had the chance but there was a little too much brush between us.  His beard is at least a foot long and he has a nasty harem of hens with him.  I've called him in on several occasions and he stays at a perfectly safe 75 yds each time.  Now he rarely gobbles and mostly just spits and drums before eventually the ladies take him away.  They won't leave him to come and challenge my hen talk. 

Today he only gobbled about 8 times from the roost and by the time I got over that way he was gone.  Tough chase but if I can nail him it will be very satisfying and very high scoring!

TRKYHTR

Quote from: merocustomcalls on May 13, 2013, 09:51:23 PM
My fiance and I have been chasing the same gobbler for over two weeks now.  I should have taken him when I had the chance but there was a little too much brush between us.  His beard is at least a foot long and he has a nasty harem of hens with him.  I've called him in on several occasions and he stays at a perfectly safe 75 yds each time.  Now he rarely gobbles and mostly just spits and drums before eventually the ladies take him away.  They won't leave him to come and challenge my hen talk. 

Today he only gobbled about 8 times from the roost and by the time I got over that way he was gone.  Tough chase but if I can nail him it will be very satisfying and very high scoring!

Brian get in close and gobble at him. He should want to fight.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

ccleroy

I hear Del smashed 2 heads this AM!!!

merocustomcalls

Quote from: TRKYHTR on May 14, 2013, 12:08:00 AM
Quote from: merocustomcalls on May 13, 2013, 09:51:23 PM

Brian get in close and gobble at him. He should want to fight.

TRKYHTR

I did just that this morning and just when he started making his way through the field a hen flew in and they walked off together.  In fact there were two gobblers in the field dualing it out for a while.  I got a good look at this beard with my binocs and I kid you not it was 3 inches wide!!  The birds then left the field, I flanked them or so I thought, and they just up and vanished. 

Heading there tomorrow morning with a buddy, should get the job done then.

870BkWht

Im still hunting here in WV, season closes this coming Sat. (18th), still trying to wrap a tag around a gobbler leg.  Ive been hunting the same bird for about the past 2 weeks on every day off from work that I have.  Hopefully this week will be the week. 

Brian, I hope you get that paintbrush.