Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Getting closer but time running out!

Started by old frank, May 10, 2013, 01:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old frank

Wednesday I heard one gobbling at 6:30 am. he sounded like he might be on the neighbors horse farm. I moved closer and sat just off a fire break that surrounds our property and where I could see onto the neighbors pasture. The neighbor told me to shoot one if it was on his side but I didn't want to do that but would sure try to entice him over the line.

That turkey gobbled maybe eight times but never got closer. My friend called around 9:00 and asked where I was because he wanted to come and get his sunflowers planted for the dove fields. I told him to come on and I would move to the back of the property near the swamp. He said when he started down his dirt road he saw a big gobbler strutting with a hen about 200 yards on the neighbors property. Probably the one I heard.

I worked my way around the property calling and also sitting and watching and saw and heard nothing. I was just about to complete a big circle and was about 300 yards from the building where I parked when I saw a big gobbler and hen going across the pasture. I could see a 10 plus inch beard, maybe longer.The pasture is four strands high of electric fence and no gate near me. I ranged the turkeys at 80 yards.

I was standing in the woods just off the fire break and watching the turkeys. They were walking up and across a finger of trees running into the pasture. I tried calling soft at first and then loud but they paid me no attention.

I actually saw my friend pass about 50 yards above the hen and she paid no attention to the tractor. I watched for over an hour and they paid me no attention, I finally cut back into the woods and walked parallel to the fence for about 75 yards to a gate and snuck into the pasture.

I crawled into the tree line and sat for an hour, called occasionally but never saw the turkeys again. I finally walked the entire finger of trees that was about 20 yards wide and the turkeys were gone.

I assume they flew over the fence and went back into the woods. I gave it another 1 1/2 hours of no activity and called it quits.

I probably have one more chance to get out and after that it will be fishing and thinking about deer.

West Augusta

At least you got out there, saw birds and played the game.  Sometimes the birds win.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.  Good luck Frank
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

longspur

That's what keeps us all going Frank. And that's what makes it so sweet when everything works out. good luck if you get out there agan.