turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoys are for waterfowl hunters…

Started by Steve, May 09, 2013, 04:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Just grabbing your attention – don't go getting offended by this post. I was just curious how many guys on here use decoys exclusively all of the time at every setup vs how many use them some of the time when the circumstance dictates it vs how many don't bother with them at all and don't even own one.

As for myself...I used to use them on nearly every hunt but the turkeys never really paid much attention to them. In fact the very first turkey I killed, still my biggest to date, completely ignored the decoy I had set out. I wrote it off at the time, but I pretty much weeded them out of my arsenal over the years and considered them more of a nuisance to my style of hunting. I'm a very mobile hunter and don't like to be bothered setting them up at each stand. I rarely, if ever, set up in a field of any kind. I prefer to be in the woods where the turkeys have to look for that mystery hen a little harder. Has that cost me some birds? Probably, but I can't really say for sure? All of the birds I have taken since that first one were harvested without the use of any decoys. I haven't owned one for years. Now I'm not saying they don't work, we all know they do. So how many of you guys go without? I was considering purchasing another one, but I need some convincing to do so.

By the way, I'm a very avid waterfowler as well, but prefer those decoys to be made of cork or cedar. And I have seen turkey decoys made of cedar...now that's always an option.

Thanks for the input,
Steve

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Onpoint

Saw 7 die this year. Guess how many were killed on decoy setups. 0.

WildSpur

I don't have any anymore.  There have been times when hunting solo they could have helped but I am able to still get birds without them.  I don't think I will buy another just because I like to travel light.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

Uncle Tom

Don't use them hardly ever....once you begin to do without something you discover I really did not need that to begin with. The hunt is more satisfying when you begin to harvest birds without baiting them with a decoy. Now some will say that using a call is also baiting them to commit to something that is luring them in, but to lure a bird, deer, or any other animal into your setup is just part of hunting and each there own...what is legal and fits your style...go for it. Is it cheating...yes to me it is, but the next guy that uses one to him it is not and if you are happy harvesting a gobbler with a decoy and it is legal where you hunt its fine with me.

o2stk1

use them sometimes, mostly in field set ups where they can see for a long way. I like to hear them gobble and it seems like they do it more if they don't see a decoy, if they do they seem to just spit and drum and strut. they have their time and place just not always for me

CntrlPA

DirtNap647

i  own an avian hen dont hardly use it but i have

ccr

I use decoys regularly, but I've learned there are times you leave them home. Here they are legal and are like any call in my vest, another tool I use to get the bird close for clean shot.

Terry

I have an inflatable hen and Jake from cherokee sports. Rarely use them, but they do have a place.

rock54

guessn as you said to each his own on the decoys....

i have two DSD feeder hens and one alert (i use as submissive only)

last year a jake tryd to breed my feeding hen at 15yds from my blind in the woods after a heavy rain ???

this year wife shot a jake that ran passd my blind after my calln and mountd my submissive hen and as he was humpn away,
she shot it right off her back ???

two days later i shot one after my calln and he came in with two hens, 
strutd all the way up to the submissive hen again and tryd to make
eye contact with her, i shot ??

and in both years i think my hens got beat up by more hens than i can count, must be some kind of domainance thing among hens ??

but today i walkd in about a mile and didnt take them and shot a
22lbs, 1 1/2 in spur and 1 5/8 spur, with a 10 1/2in beard...

so i use them most always....good luck either way russ

beardwacker

I mainly hunt public land and over the decades have shot more without decoy's then with.  It is a tool in the box used "right" works.  but I have seen alot more turn off from mine than come into it, the ones that did was "HOT" anyway.  So, for me don't really use them.

Steve

Thanks for the input guys. I have to say though, I honestly felt like I was the only turkey hunter east of the Mississippi that doesn't use decoys. It seems like everybody does around here. I don't necessarily have a problem with them, and I wouldn't go as far as classifying them along with bait, I just can't justify the use of one for my style of hunting. I use plenty of duck decoys,  but that's a whole different ball game - yet the same principle. I suppose I'll spend that money on other "goodies" and stick to my same style of hunting.

Steve

turkey_slayer

WildTigerTrout

Every gobbler I have ever taken is "Old School" without the use of blinds or decoys. I don't carry a decoy in my vest. I even use old fashioned lead shot! :o
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!