turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pop up blind in a field

Started by opster246, March 08, 2011, 08:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootowl

Bought one the other day, at Gander Mountain. I am headed to Kansas is April and From what I can tell from the Photo's there are alot of open fields and fence lines, so I am hoping to put it to use. Wanted a Double Bull but settled for an Ameristep gold shield, it has the Spider Hub, and put it up in the House, Wife thought I was nuts watching Turkey Video's..... Need to come up with some sort of a chair, or stool, so I can sit and see? What do you guys carry with you?

Hoot

kangaroocry

My only advice is to be aware of where all the birds are.  I was set up in a field last year about 20 yards away from where two strips of timber met.  I was watching/calling to one roost area when a gobbler started sounding off about 50 yards up the hill behind me, on the other side of one of the strips of timber.  He was answering every call I made, and I kept trying to locate him out of a back window in the blind.  About 10 minutes in, I looked through the back window again, turned around, and saw a hen no more than 2 feet outside my shooting window, looking right at me!  She sneaked in to get a closer look, and we met eyes for what seemed like an eternity.  She started walking away quickly, but I calmed her down with some soft clucks and purrs.  She came right back to my dekes, and hung around for maybe another 10 mins before heading off to meet the gobbler.  My only advice is, if they are that close, stop calling.  They will investigate the blind.  The blind itself won't spook them, but the imaginary turkey inside might.   :icon_thumright:

Hootowl

Great Advise, I tend not to call that much, Once They answer me I let them seek me out maybe a Few soft Purrs and Clucks.

Hoot

Mike Honcho

To answer your question about what to sit on I have been using a folding tripod type seat I bought at a sporting goods store...it's about 16" high and folds up so it fits in a small pack.
I had a great hunt out of one two years ago in Kansas...got my 9 year old grandson his first tom.
I only use them when I take the grandsons...I like to be more mobile when I'm by myself.
They are the answer in areas like a field where there might not be enough cover for you without one

Smart longbeard

I ordered a one man chair blind off of ebay. It cost $55 to my door, and i was surprised at how good the quality of the blind is. The name brand is kill zone, i haven't tried it out yet but i'm excited to use it early this season before the birds really get hot......... should make it alot easier to wait them out.

bbcoach

I have an Ameristep 2 man chair blind and just purchased a single seat Remington chair blind on closeout at Walmart and they work GREAT!  The 2 man has had two nice birds taken out of it by setting it up on a pine forest dirt road and setting out a couple of decoys.  Birds walk right by it and don't pay any attention to them.  They are light weight and easy to carry in to where your going with the attached shoulder straps.  Great for you and a young hunter to share time in the woods and helps conceal movement.