turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pop up blind in a field

Started by opster246, March 08, 2011, 08:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opster246

Place I hunt has about 40 a.c. ag. field and 40 a.c. timber.  The field has several errosion control strips that come out into field from the timber.  The strips are grass. Seems the birds work the edges of these strips in the early a.m.  Would the pop up blind spook the birds if I set up right out in the middle of one of these strips.  The strips are about 20 yds wide, so I'd like to set my strutter and 3 hen decoys up and set out in the field where they like to go.  Or should I stay along the timber line with the blind.  Wnat to use the blind so my son can come along and watch.  Thanks for any help!

jakesdad

Id set it right out there where they've been goin.They wont pay one bit of attention to it.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

harvester

I have always heard they won't pay any attention to it out there in the wide open. Give it a shot and see what happens. Lessons learned are leasons remembered.  :icon_thumright:

unclerick

Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

AndyH

gunnerj

Quote from: harvester on March 09, 2011, 08:08:59 AM
I have always heard they won't pay any attention to it out there in the wide open. Give it a shot and see what happens. Lessons learned are leasons remembered.  :icon_thumright:
:agreed:

huntdux1

They will not pay 1 bit of attention to it

neal

Blinds don't bother turkeys..... why I have no idea. I set one a few years ago for my brother I put it right in the middle of a roosting area, we got in really early and when it was daylight there was birds straight above and all around us, the blind was sitting right in the middle of a 2 track trail in very open hardwoods.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

bowhunter84

Quote from: jakesdad on March 08, 2011, 08:53:59 PM
Id set it right out there where they've been goin.They wont pay one bit of attention to it.

i've never tried it but i have a buddy who says the same thing.

redleg06

Ive hunted out of a blind a total of ONE time in my turkey hunting career and it was smack in the middle of a 67 acre wheat field (thats where the turkey wanted to be) and they paid absolutely no mind to the blind.

I roosted a bird then waited till it got pitch black later that night - snuck back into the field where he had been flying down at and I put the blind out ( I was lucky that I deer hunt this place as well and had my pop up blind out there in a storage shed). I was back in the blind with my wife when he woke up the next morning and he never noticed the new blind in the middle of the field.

To any other animal it would have stuck out like a diamond in a goat's azz but this ol boy never thought twice about pitching down beside it and walking within 30 yds of it.  

I can tell you, after seeing this, I'll be breaking out my ol pop up blind again if I get another bird that loves to stay out in the middle of a field.  This old Bird had seen it all before and wasnt coming to the edge where I had any kind of cover to set up on him so the blind was my ace in the hole.

alloutdoors

The bird in my avatar photo was about 10 yards from my blind in an open hayfield.  I use it a lot for photography, they generally don't pay any attention at all to it.

CASH

If it ain't movin', they don't care
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Larry Mac

From my experience in Florida, the Osceolas ARE very aware  if there is a blind in the middle of their patterned walks.  I have seen them stop--look-- and sprint in a wider arc around the blind( me looking from a different  vantage point.) So I am saying those birds that are ALWAYS under attack from all kinds of predators are very aware of their surroundings

Jay

I've never had one spook on a blind. They walk right by it without a glance. and have had to set it up in open fields at times.

redleg06

Quote from: CASH on March 12, 2011, 03:19:32 PM
If it ain't movin', they don't care

I hope that's the case because Im planning on breaking out the old stick and string and trying to arrow a gobbler out of my blind this year.