Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Been tough so far this season.

Started by old frank, May 02, 2013, 07:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old frank

Not been a great turkey season for me so far.

My wife of 37 years had a Mini stroke right after the season started. They found a blocked artery in her neck and replaced it. Hospital stay and lots of doctors visits. She is 100% back to normal with just a little more healing to do.

Hail storm damaged my truck and both cars and the roof. Insurance companies and roofers and car repairs. Two cars taken care of truck goes in the shop tomorrow and we have a new roof on the house.

And the turkeys have not been good this year. I have managed to get out about six times and never had anything going. No gobbles in the morning. Won't come to calls. Hens wandering around alone. It has been rough.

I hunted one day this week and up till noon I had not heard or seen anything. I decided to hit the pond and see if the bass were active. Caught a couple on my new ultralight rod/reel and they put up a good fight. Misting rain the whole time. I decided about 1:30 to call it quits and head home. I was driving out the dirt road to the gate when I saw two big gobblers walking around the neighbors horse farm. they were just strolling by themselves. I saw them walk away from me and into the woods.
I turned around and drove back the road and parked, grabbed my vest and shotgun and ran to the end of a little food plot that would have me about 100 yards from where the turkeys were and well on our land.

I sat for three hours. I called soft, I called loud and I sat quietly. Never saw them again and that is the way it has been going.

I still am blessed to have good health and a good family and to be able to enjoy the outdoors, so while I am not thrilled with the season so far, I have two more weeks to hunt and I am a happy old man. :z-guntootsmiley:

spurman

WOW! Frank a lot of things happening with you and yours. Glad your wife is healing. I don't know how you found anytime to hunt.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

SheGotHoOks

Wanted to say sorry things have been so rough! I'm happy to hear your wife is better tho.. and I hope the rest of the season treats you well! :) good luck and happy hunting..

longbeard95

Very happy to hear that your wife is doing better. I hope your season turns around for you. This year in WI has been rough too but it sounds like you guys have it a little harder then we do. Hopefully your season gets better and your able to tag a big one!

West Augusta

Prayers sent for you wife's health and a speedy recovery. Glad that with all of that you did find a little time to get out and enjoy a little hunting and fishing.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

slawman

Hang in there and try and
Enjoy the time you get to be out there.....good luck

old frank

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts.
I hope to get after the turkeys on Thursday for a while.
My wife is doing great, no restrictions front the doctors. She is having to get use to taking a daily Rx, something she has never had to do before.

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk!

West Augusta

Wonderful news about your wife.  Get out there and enjoy the sunshine. Hope ya tag a big one.  You deserve it.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.