Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Another WidowMaker scores

Started by spurman, April 29, 2013, 06:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spurman

Congratulations doublegobble you got a heavy limbhanger for sure.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

SheGotHoOks

congrats doublegobble.. That's a mighty fine bird bud.. :)

Onpoint

doublegobble

Thanks guys. It was a textbook hunt. He gobbled on the roost, I hit him with a few tree yelps. He hit the ground about 100 yards from me and strutted right in. Done within 10 minutes of him hitting the ground. I helped call in multiple birds the week I was camping. Some fantastic birds, the largest had 1 1/2" spurs. The best hunt had to be with my father-in-law. We had this bird patterned and went after him Sunday the 21st. He pitched out of the tree and stood in one spot and gobbled his head off. One by one the hens and jakes started pitching out of the trees. When it was all said and done, he was the only gobbler in the field and 40-45 hens and jakes with him. It was quite a show. Took a few hours but finally had him at 35 yards. Father-in-law couldn't get a shot on him because he was surrounded by hens. Probably had him there for 20-25 minutes and the group turned to leave. I told him we probably missed our opportunity, but maybe later the hens would move on and he would be back. Suddenly I spotted a young coyote in the field. He walked over to the group and suddely started chasing the gobbler. The birds scattered and the gobbler flew up in the tree next to us. All of the birds were scattered about in the surrounding trees. Once the coyote left, we called to the birds and the gobbler flew down right to our decoys. Not really the way I thought it would end after the turkeys had decided to leave but it worked out in the long run thanks to a hungry coyote.
Red meat isn't bad for you, fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

slawman

Great bird congrats on a true heavyweight

old frank