News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Call too Loudly?

Started by Sapperjawn, April 29, 2013, 04:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltysenior

Quote from: sixbird on April 30, 2013, 08:57:37 PM
I find that calling excitedly but skipping a few gobbles (don't respond to his gobbling each time) and toward the end, let him find you (go quiet) works fairly well on most gobblers. Maybe a few soft calls to get him to step out those last few yards. I've had good luck getting close birds to come back when they've decided to leave by giving them a few excited, loud cuts, even though they're still close...It pretty much comes down to trying different things and see what that particular turkey responds to...My experience has been that excitement trumps subtlety more often than not...

most who replied to the question answered with a statement that refers to the bird gobbling...you are very lucky to experience those occasions.   down in s. fl., on public land ,dealing with a vocal bird happens about only 30% of the time.....   

beardwacker

Pretty much what other's have said.  No two turkey's sound exactly alike or react to the same situation the same.  Now turkey's may not be the smartest critter in the would's but there not stupid, the dumb ones get weeded out (perhaps we could learn something from this), anyway.  Calling LOUD from the start can cause a turkey close to spook, because they know that bird should be on his back, so he moves away from an odd thing.  Why, you always call softly, then work up from there.  this way any close birds will come in.  one more point, if a turkey run's away and another see's it what will it do?

chcltlabz

I call loud when I'm running and gunning, and almost as loud when I'm working a bird.  I don't sit and wait for them to work in, don't let them gobble a dozen times without calling or wait 30 minutes between calls.  Works well for me.

Don't assume that there's any one method that will work best for every area and every situation.  Its all about what works for you, where you hunt.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

bghunter777

Quote from: sixbird on April 30, 2013, 08:57:37 PM
I find that calling excitedly but skipping a few gobbles (don't respond to his gobbling each time) and toward the end, let him find you (go quiet) works fairly well on most gobblers. Maybe a few soft calls to get him to step out those last few yards. I've had good luck getting close birds to come back when they've decided to leave by giving them a few excited, loud cuts, even though they're still close...It pretty much comes down to trying different things and see what that particular turkey responds to...My experience has been that excitement trumps subtlety more often than not...

This is pretty much my method on many birds I will ussually throw a few softer clucks and purrs followed by a louder yelp. It is very situational as many have stated if he is with hens I forget about the gobbler and just mimick the the hen he is not going anywhere she isn't going. I have killed several birds by causing the hen to come over ussually calling often attempting to mimick exactly what the hen is doing.

If I'm not sure and can only here the gobbler I will ussually use the method above calling loud enough to get a response then shutting up for a few minutes and once he has committed inside that 75 yard range or so I will ussually shut up for two reasons. 1 is I prefer to use a slate and this elimates movement and the other I dont want him having me exactly pinpointed if he is within view and you call you had better not move. I will sometimes cluck softly with a mout call when they are in close its pretty cool when your in the woods and he answers inside 40 yards keep in mind ever bird is different only expierience will be your best teacher.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

At least 75% of our turkeys die to one or two calls.

You can talk yourself out of a turkey pretty easy.

DaveFroggin

Last year was my first time ever hunting turkeys. I felt like I called too loud last year and didnt get a bird. This year I tried calling softer and got my first bird. Not sure if calling softly was the only reason or just being at the right place at the right time. What I do know is, Ill continue to call soft.

scott ellis

Great advice given already! If I am running and gunning, I'm for medium volume calling to elicit a response. If I strike him or hear him from a long way off, I will try to get closer to him before calling. If I cant get closer I may increase the volume a bit to get his attention. If he starts closing in, I then tone it down. If I'm set up blind calling I'm trying to get attention drawn to me.  I tend to call on the louder but realistic side of the spectrum, UNLESS I'm hunting public ground and the hen's have scaled back there calling. That's when soft calling can do the trick.  Very very seldom do I "scream" at a gobbler when he is within 75 yards or so....

Keep in mind, hens get loud as well, Generally it's when they are fired up about something(within the flock) or they are ultimately trying to get some attention, whether a gobbler or another hen, from a longer distance.

se

M Sharpe

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

owlhoot

i always just go with the flow. The mood of the bird that morning. Start soft though.
If he cranks up hard, let him have some more calling. Keeping him gobbling his head off is always a lot of fun!   Good luck. :fud:

archery1

thanks guys.. alot of good info about this subject
Take a kid hunting

J Hook Max

I am sure that you can with some older toms. However,  I call too loud and too much and I call in lots of gobblers every spring. The spot you are calling from is most important.

gobbler777

After 50 years of spring seasons. I find what the bird responds to and stick with it.

But check this radical philosophy: I am a retired, career wildlife biologist, that worked on restoration of the wild turkey in Maryland. I had a good friend who was a long time turkey biologist for the state of Pennsylvania. He was a very successful turkey hunter and his theory and the way he hunted was: call as loud as you can all the time no matter how close the bird is. He claimed it excited them. I never tried it because I had confidence in "my way and experiences".
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Drthorn

here is my two cents: can you call too loudly, I'd say yes...don't want to scream at a bird with a box that is 30yds away...I'd treat it like you were talking to somebody..the further they are from you, the louder you talk..same with a turkey...at least that is how I call to them.