OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call too Loudly?

Started by Sapperjawn, April 29, 2013, 04:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sapperjawn

Last year was my first time out turkey hunting. I practiced my arse off with a mouth and box call. Can you call too loudly? If the calls sound accurate to a turkey but are too loud will that make a difference??

NFW

ive been doin it for about too years now but it just depends last weekend i was only about 100 yd away when i all out just yelped loud as i could with my mouth call and one fired right back and i also went after that for awhile messing with him and still pretty loud, and he answered everything didnt end up killing the bird only because he was on the wrong side of the ravine. But ive also heard that you just want to do small light yelps or just quite puts and purrs when they get in close.

Onpoint

No two turkeys are alikeand no 2 situations are the same. For the most part I keep it soft and subtle and I don't call a lot. What's killed a lot of turkeys for me is resisting the temptation to call at a hott bird gobbling. That being said there are birds that need to be fired up and worked aggressively. There's been plenty birds that just would not cooperate til I got aggressive on my calling with them. Like I said no two situations are alike but as a general rule soft and less is better than loud and more. Knowin when to put yor call down and shut up for good is another deal closer. Sometimes you can softtalk a gobbler and then get aggressive with him just long enough to get his blood pumpin. then put your call down. sometimes after firing a bird up you can face the other way and cast a series of yelps away from the gobbler ( like a hen goin the opposite direction). This trick often works.  But most of my birds are killed by being easy with them. 70% of turkey hunting is setting up, 20% calling and 10% shooting.

guesswho

You can definitely call to loud.  But you can also call to softly.  But calling to soft won't hurt you near as much as calling to loud, most of the time.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

DirtNap647

every situation is different try to pay attention to the hens while you are hunting they are your best teacher sometimes you can cal to loud but i have heard some loud mouth hens ...good luck

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on April 29, 2013, 06:56:28 PM
You can definitely call to loud.  But you can also call to softly.  But calling to soft won't hurt you near as much as calling to loud, most of the time.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up in a couple of sentences.  ....The trick is finding out what kind of calling a gobbler wants to hear before you blow it by doing the wrong thing.

saltysenior

i would have to say it depends on how far away the turkey is located......if you are not runnin' and gunnin' and just sittin',calling quietly will not get to a bird that is distant....all depends on the situation  .... :OGani:

TurkeyTom

I will most always start out calling soft at first.  I'd rather call softly and if I get a response, I'll keep it soft. If I don't I'll try again a little louder.

If there's a wind blowing you might have to start out louder.

No two birds seem to react the same...... sometimes they are close and you need soft seductive calling and sometimes they are a couple hundred yards away and need to be yelled at.   :funnyturkey:

Sapperjawn

This is all great stuff to know, thanks gents. It seems like i'll be doing all my calling uphill as well. Any tricks to get them down and out of the tree line into the sun??

TauntoHawk

start soft and get louder, you don't need to be ripping Cutts off the next mountain if the bird is only 80yds away. Start light and soft and slowly turn it up
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sixbird

I find that calling excitedly but skipping a few gobbles (don't respond to his gobbling each time) and toward the end, let him find you (go quiet) works fairly well on most gobblers. Maybe a few soft calls to get him to step out those last few yards. I've had good luck getting close birds to come back when they've decided to leave by giving them a few excited, loud cuts, even though they're still close...It pretty much comes down to trying different things and see what that particular turkey responds to...My experience has been that excitement trumps subtlety more often than not...

WildTigerTrout

IMO many turkey hunters call too loud AND too much. I let the bird tell me know what he wants by the way he reacts to the calling.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

sixbird

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on April 30, 2013, 09:07:17 PM
IMO many turkey hunters call too loud AND too much. I let the bird tell me know what he wants by the way he reacts to the calling.

Agreed wild tiger...To clarify...I wasn't advocating calling incessantly. My comments were toward calling to a bird that was gobbling and committed...Sometimes I actually take a little nap. That way I'm not calling too much...Incessant calling will almost certainly shut birds up.

BBD

Quote from: sixbird on April 30, 2013, 08:57:37 PM
I find that calling excitedly but skipping a few gobbles (don't respond to his gobbling each time) and toward the end, let him find you (go quiet) works fairly well on most gobblers. Maybe a few soft calls to get him to step out those last few yards.

:icon_thumright:

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: BBD on April 30, 2013, 10:32:15 PM
Quote from: sixbird on April 30, 2013, 08:57:37 PM
I find that calling excitedly but skipping a few gobbles (don't respond to his gobbling each time) and toward the end, let him find you (go quiet) works fairly well on most gobblers. Maybe a few soft calls to get him to step out those last few yards.

:icon_thumright:
:z-winnersmiley:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!