OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting in Rain

Started by Hootowl, April 23, 2013, 08:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d.winsor

I was hunting a field once and calling a bunch of birds across it, they got half way across and it started raining, the birds went back across the field and got around a large oak tree.  When it stopped raining I started calling again and they came across the field and I killed a nice size Tom.  Good luck.

Byhalia

:fud:   :OGani:
Rain..heavy or light...........is always a good time....PATIENCE will kill this bird !!!  Lots of times they come in
silent !!!

:anim_25:
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

Byhalia

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 26, 2014, 09:51:05 PM
I love hunting in the rain. I can slip around more quietly. Sometimes they gobble sometimes they don't just like any other day. I shot this one in a monsoon. I had a hard time getting the bead on his head cause it was coming down sideways in sheets.

Now that's what I'm talking about..........congrats on that Bird !!!!!    :z-winnersmiley:
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

silvestris

I don't hunt them in the rain cause I don't enjoy hunting them in the rain and I don't like wet turkeys.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

tnturkey

I never pass up a chance to hunt deer or turkeys in the rain. imo right before during and especially right after that is one of the best times to kill an animal especially a turkey. invest in some good rain gear and stay after then!

MuddyRiver

Quote from: dlewis82nd on February 26, 2014, 04:35:53 PM
Quote from: beardwacker on May 10, 2013, 07:59:49 AM
  I am not much of a blind guy, like to see all around me.  But you need the blind set up ahead of time or brushed in real well for the turkey's. 

Blinds do not need to be set up in advance or brushed in for turkeys. I've killed a lot of birds popping my Lind up in the middle of a field and setting decoys out 10 yards from it the day I go in to hunt. Deer are another story but turkeys pay no attention to blinds and there is plenty of videos and articles all over the net to support this.

+1 on what dlewis82nd said.   Turkeys pay no attention to blinds.  You don't even have to screen the windows.  Black holes don't bother them.  Just don't let them see movement. 

Twowithone

Took a nice gobbler last yr in the rain.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.