OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting in Rain

Started by Hootowl, April 23, 2013, 08:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hootowl

Being really new to Turkey hunting, this will be my first year hunting in the rain, I have a blind, but does the rain mess the birds up! Any tips help, Only day this week I can hunt the 24th. And I would rather hunt then work, any day!!!!!!

tomstopper

From my personal experience I don't mind hunting in a little rain. I have taken some nice gobblers especially right after the rain has stopped. I always joke that they seem more aggressive right after it rains b/c they are ticked that they are all soaking wet. If you can keep your calls dry then keep hunting b/c although they might be less vocal during the rain they will still want to breed and you need to be there to capitalize on it. Good luck.....

nickhrp

Turkeys don't mind the rain although in a steady rain it's hard to hear in a ground blind almost impossible stay sharp and keep your gear dry and be patient
God Bless the Outdoors

turkeyhunter4life

After hunting turkeys now for twelve years I can say in my opinion, that the rain does not mess up your hunting.  I killed my biggest bird to date just after a rain storm.  It was raining when I first saw the bird though.  I would hunt a field rather than the woods.  I have drove past fields that were loaded with turkeys during a heavy rain.  Nickhrp made a good point, that it can be tough to hear gobbles in heavy rain.  This is where the field idea comes into play.  Good luck!

Michigander

Like the other guys said, target fields when it rains. I'm not sure if its because they can stay drier in a field, or if all the dripping water in the woods makes them uneasy. I actually like hunting in a light rain, less competition and you can sneak really well.

beardwacker

I have hunted turkey's for about 20 years.  I am not much of a blind guy, like to see all around me.  But you need the blind set up ahead of time or brushed in real well for the turkey's.  As far as rain, Like few guys said.  turkey's live in the outdoors, it is just part of there home.  It will be harder to hear them, but they are there.  Field's and pine tree's are good hen it rain's hard for they like to be able to spot predators and feel more secure.  but in a light to medium rain they go about there business.  Don't be afraid of the rain, when it stops, like all animal's they are hot and ready.  there is only one thing that keep's me from going after them in the rain, if it is loud enough that I cannt hear them, then no use in me going.

philliesdoc

Quote from: beardwacker on May 10, 2013, 07:59:49 AM
I have hunted turkey's for about 20 years.  I am not much of a blind guy, like to see all around me.  But you need the blind set up ahead of time or brushed in real well for the turkey's.  As far as rain, Like few guys said.  turkey's live in the outdoors, it is just part of there home.  It will be harder to hear them, but they are there. Field's and pine tree's are good hen it rain's hard for they like to be able to spot predators and feel more secure.  but in a light to medium rain they go about there business.  Don't be afraid of the rain, when it stops, like all animal's they are hot and ready.  there is only one thing that keep's me from going after them in the rain, if it is loud enough that I cannt hear them, then no use in me going.

have to agree.  had 4 hens come through a field and into a christmas tree farm with a gobbler hot on them yesterday.  he paid the price and for the 2nd straight year I am glad I hunted in the rain.

MEbeardlover

Took my first bird yesterday in a steady rain. We hunted the roost at dawn without success, and knew we had rain moving in sometime around 8. Headed to a field edge blind at that time, and one hen appeared shortly after. When the rain started, two toms and five hens all made their way into the field within minutes of each other. At 8:45 my first bird was down. I had read and researched that they like fields when it rains, so that is where I went.

Hooks' n' Beards'

i love hunting birds in the rain up here,they love the rain and stay out/or come out of the woods in too the fields to eat...i cant get enough of hunting them in the rain...

Gobble!

rainy day - if i know there's a field field they work I'm heading there with a blind and decoys. Not my favorite kind of hunt but still enjoy it.

bamagtrdude

Yep, hunt in the rain - drizzle & light, steady rain doesn't matter.  I got a set of Frogg Toggs for this exact reason, and carry them with me if I think it might rain.  Works like a champ; actually, I've heard a TON of gobbling during thunder-booms throughout the years.  :)
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

redleg06

Ditch the blind, get some rain gear and get out there. Rain, or right after one, is one of the best times to hunt birds IMO...  They get out in the open more so they are more visible. They are easier to track in wet mud on roads and you know tracks are fresh. They still gobble. You dont make as much noise walking on wet leaves.

I love rainy days as long as it's not real cold and windy to go with it. That's kind of miserable....

dlewis82nd

Quote from: beardwacker on May 10, 2013, 07:59:49 AM
  I am not much of a blind guy, like to see all around me.  But you need the blind set up ahead of time or brushed in real well for the turkey's. 

Blinds do not need to be set up in advance or brushed in for turkeys. I've killed a lot of birds popping my Lind up in the middle of a field and setting decoys out 10 yards from it the day I go in to hunt. Deer are another story but turkeys pay no attention to blinds and there is plenty of videos and articles all over the net to support this.

turkey_slayer

I love hunting in the rain. I can slip around more quietly. Sometimes they gobble sometimes they don't just like any other day. I shot this one in a monsoon. I had a hard time getting the bead on his head cause it was coming down sideways in sheets.

Heller

I've had good luck right after the rain