Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Close but no cigar...what afternoon

Started by NFW, April 21, 2013, 01:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFW

We'll this morning blew up, probably heard 20 gobblers, none this morning would answer my call until about 8:30 when came to a point yelp and one blew up 100yd from me, so I set up and answered all my yelps or cuts!!! Freakin awesome since its been my first to call one up so close, anyways got hung up and wouldn't cross a revine so tried to reset and be ended up seeing me. Should I leave it alone until the morning or try and get on him this afternoon? If so how do I go by doing it?

Lensbenz

Every morning from about 7:15 to 7:45 I get up to 5 gobblers 1 jake and 1 hen at my back door close enough to grab one, their so busy trying to impress the hen that they dont see me or feel that I am a threat. It is taking the fun out of blasting one. Maybe I'll try a bow instead.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

#1: don't turkey call until you're in a position to kill a bird that answers you. It sounds like you called next to a ravine without recognizing there could be one across it that would pin you down.  Use a crow call.

#2:  stop calling so much.  A bird at 100 yards knows EXACTLY where you are at.  Give him silence, especially if there is an obstacle between you once he has answered you. Let him make the next move instead of peppering him with incessant calling. 

Silence kills turkeys once they know where you are.  Overcalling saves lives.  There is no doubt in my mind after reading your post that you were too excited about making the bird gobble and not tactically focused on your strategy to get him KILLED.

Go after him in the morning.  Seriously, read my post and then reread it.