turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stoeger P-350 Choke options?

Started by kevin2, April 19, 2013, 08:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

The Stoeger P-350 ultra mag comes with a Full choke at .688 & XFT Turkey choke at .661.

Just trying to get a choke that will work with the Stoeger P-350. Not sure if one of these options that the gun comes with will work on Turkey.

Before I blow a bunch of cash patterning ammo, I thought it would be wise to ask you all. I've got a grand total of 3 days until opening day. So, I'm out of time!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Richyb

I use a carlsons .650 turkey choke in my p350. It throws great patterns with number 6 but it a little tight for 5's and the pattern starts to blow apart. I also have an undertaker .665  that throws ok patterns for lead. If your shooting hevi 6 then tighten it right up but if lead 5's then your turkey choke should work ... go shoot a couple with it and find out

kevin2

the Ward

With only 3 days to work with and using the chokes you have on hand leaves ammo and range as the deciding factors on what to use.I probably would try some turkey thug 5s or 6s thru the .661 at 35 and 40 yards.Lots of people getting good results with those shells.Or go with h13 magblends or 7s thru both chokes and use which ever one gets the best results.I guess i would be concerned about the poa matching poi,and at what range i still had a lethal pattern density with a limited amount of time to test.Rule of thumb is around 100 in the 10" circle should be your maximum effective range Ie; if your getting 100 at 35yds that will be the range limit for the load/choke.If it were me,i would get a box or 2 of magblend,Check my poi vs poa with some cheap dove loads,then try a shot or 2 of the magblends at 40yds thru both chokes then pick the choke that had the densest most even pattern.The reason i suggest magblends is that you can probably find them available locally easier than the 7s.They won't be cheap but your backs against the wall with only 3 days and i think that would be the quickest way to get good results  with the chokes you have.If you are content to limit your shots to 30yds then i would guess either choke with a decent lead load will work fine as long as your poa is good.Hope this was of some help...ward

Richyb

Either of your chokes will work with any load up to 40 yards no problem but with turkey hunting patterens more is better . Guys say it has to be atleast 100 in a 10" blah blah ,my dad hunts with just a mod barrel shooting kent #5 putting 45-50 in the circle  and he hasnt missed a bird inside of 45 yards yet.

Have you shot any yet ? any results to post ?

kevin2

I found the magblends, but at $37.50 I decided to wait till tomorrow night when I go to Cabelas. $7 cheaper & rebate, so I'll get a few boxes...

Dallen92

I shoot the hevi 13 choke tube .656 out of my stoeger p-350.  I get 320+ with hevi 7s and 230+ with magblends.  I have a thread with the pattern pics on it. 

Here is the link to my pattern thread for my stoeger.
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,30671.0.html

the Ward

Kevin,if you are going the magblend route i have  seen them at Dicks for $26 or gander mountain for$24 i don't know if there are any around your area or not.....ward

kevin2

I was thinking that I'd order this tube IF I can find it! I was on your thread more than once reading it over the last couple days too! Thanks!

Quote from: Dallen92 on April 21, 2013, 06:17:54 PM
I shoot the hevi 13 choke tube .656 out of my stoeger p-350.  I get 320+ with hevi 7s and 230+ with magblends.  I have a thread with the pattern pics on it. [/b]

Dallen92

I am pretty sure you can get this choke tube from Clark at all about shooting website

allaboutshooting

Quote from: kevin2 on April 21, 2013, 08:10:36 PM
I was thinking that I'd order this tube IF I can find it! I was on your thread more than once reading it over the last couple days too! Thanks!

I shoot the hevi 13 choke tube .656 out of my stoeger p-350.  I get 320+ with hevi 7s and 230+ with magblends.  I have a thread with the pattern pics on it. [/b]

I have them in stock.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

kevin2

Clark, is this the item I'm looking for for my Stoeger P-350?
Thanks, Kevin

http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?products_id=202

Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 22, 2013, 10:54:42 AM
Quote from: kevin2 on April 21, 2013, 08:10:36 PM

I have them in stock.

Thanks,
Clark

kevin2

I did shoot it today & neither of the chokes did a good job at any distance! My 28g patterns better at 30+ yards!

I've got to order that choke now!

kevin2

OK, I ordered the Hevi-13 choke from Clark. Hope she works!