OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Great time in Kansas

Started by dawgfrombama, April 16, 2013, 01:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawgfrombama

I spent the last few days hunting in Kansas. I was afraid the hunting would be really tough considering the late spring and the recent cold weather in the area where I was hunting.  I was very surprised on Friday evening when we got out to hunt.  Saw lots of birds and heard lots of gobbling.  Nearly all the gobblers were henned up.  I've never saw so many jakes running around with full fans.  We saw as many as 12 in a group with 4-5inch beards and full fans.  They were running around everywhere.

I hunted from about 2pm until dark on Friday and got a good bird around 6:30.  I watched him for about an hour feed in a wheat field.  I finally got him interested and he came running.  About 80yrds from the field edge, he turned and ran down a road near where I set up.  I turned to look where he went and I heard him drumming while walking through a dry creek bed.  As soon as he walked out of the creek bed I shot him at about 20 steps.

9 3/4 in beard
1 1/8 in spurs
21 lbs 8 oz

Our group of 6 got 8 birds from Friday until Monday.  I tagged out on Sunday evening with another bird  after missing a big boss gobbler earlier in the afternoon (still sick about that).  Cant wait to go back next year.

I sat by this tree for over five hours on the last evening and ended up missing a bird. My butt was sore and heart was broken :TooFunny:

bbcoach

Congrats Dawg!  Looks and sounds like everyone had a great time.  Heading out on the 2nd of May to see what our group of 5 can do.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

spaightlabs

Nice job!

Heading out on Thursday...

boomer

JVA54

slamman

very nice congrats.  i'm comin to Kansas next spring :icon_thumright: ;D

dirtnap

I am headed out there in the middle of May.

DirtNap647

congrats looks like a good time

Tomfoolery

Congrats on some great looking birds!! We're y'all huntin public or private land? I am planning on heading to Kansas next year to try public hunting !

tomstopper

Congrats. Nice birds........

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

stinkpickle