OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need help on box calls!

Started by bigthunderchicken, April 14, 2013, 06:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cja

Bob Harwell makes a good sounding call as well

longbow59

Try a Dale Rohm box, never mentioned much but they are a great hunting box.

BIGBOB

I think it would be hard to do better than a box call from Albert Paul. I have several and his is the one i always carry. Great man to deal with.

slwayne

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 15, 2013, 11:30:52 AM
Quote from: eddie234 on April 15, 2013, 10:49:21 AM
I got a ss custom box last year, butternut box with cherry lid. Its a great box for $55.00.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Eddie, thats the combo I was thinking of getting next from him as well as yellowheart over Mahogany. I have a Kwila/black Limba that I recieved about two weeks ago and can't set down

That Kwila/Black Limba is a killer combo for sure.  I ordered one from Al and Josh after last season ended and absolutely love it.  Called 3 to the gun with it this year including my first Michigan public land bird the last week of our season.  Great call at a real affordable price.

strutnrut

There are a couple of thing to think about when shopping for a box call.
What sound am I looking for?
What type of call do I want? Who all builds this type of call.
What type of wood combo? The callmaker can help you with this one.
What is my budget?

Beleive me a little research now will pay off. Not all good box calls are expensive and not all expensive call are good.

greencop01

:OGturkeyhead:     You can't do better than a Marlin Watkins 'fiddle box' or a fiddle paddle, he's one of the best, just tell him what sound you want or what season you hunt, spring or fall, he's a best in show winner and Neil Cost Award winner at the past couple of NTWF Conventions.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

willy8457

M Sharpe

Albert Paul, Noel Gonzales, Irving Whitt and Scott Whitter makes a good short box.
Richard Hudson for hen boxes.
Russell Beard for long boxes.

Let them run several of them for you and don't worry about the wood combo. If it sounds turkey, that's all that matters.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!