OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need help on box calls!

Started by bigthunderchicken, April 14, 2013, 06:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigthunderchicken

Im in the market for a new box call. Need advice on which ones are the best for hunting.
Chase

otis

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

M,Yingling

Check out Gobblez here on forum makes some good sounding boxes 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

TauntoHawk

we need to know price range and what your expecting to get out of the call, there are some truely excellent sounding a beautifully made boxes that will run you 125-150+ and some makers will have LONG wait tils.

There are also good sound glued boxes that will kill turkeys for $30 and about a million boxes inbetween.

I have a cane creek box ($35), nothing fancy about it but it has good rollover and a nice loud breaking yelp.

Another great option and one Id recomend is SS customs, Al builds a great field box for just $55 a true custom at an afforable price. Mine will be riding with me all season and I plan on getting more from him
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hunter22

I have 100 short box calls and hunt with ones made by Ed Terefencko and Irving Whitt. There are a lot of great callmakers out there that will make you a call to match the sound you want.

scoot12

S S custom calls are really nice and I hear great things about his field grade box,  another box I really like is the hustlin hen by Billy White.   I believe I paid $60 for it.   In the future when Jerry Zebro starts making box calls again pick up a bloodwood over black walnut glued box for $40,  best deal in my opinion in box calls.  Scoot

eddie234

I got a ss custom box last year, butternut box with cherry lid. Its a great box for $55.00.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

TauntoHawk

Quote from: eddie234 on April 15, 2013, 10:49:21 AM
I got a ss custom box last year, butternut box with cherry lid. Its a great box for $55.00.

Eddie, thats the combo I was thinking of getting next from him as well as yellowheart over Mahogany. I have a Kwila/black Limba that I recieved about two weeks ago and can't set down
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MikeStaten

I don't use box calls too much.  I recently bought a bloodwood over walnut short box from Gobblez and it looks and sounds good.  For $30 it would likely be tough to beat his.  It definitely sounds better than the typical factory boxes I've had in the past.  I just ordered a pot call from Al at SS Custom Calls and have to say he is very responsive and easy to deal with.  His box calls get rave reviews too. 

eddie234

The other custom call i have is a cherry box with a purpleheart paddle made by larry leslie"hoosier hunter" its the deacon, ive heard his shop burnt down and no one can get ahold of him but its a good call as well.

goblr77

A Billy White Hustlin Hen is hard to beat.

TnTurk

wvcurlytop

I to would like to buy a new box call.  One that sounds good enough that I actually carry it.  I usually stick with diaphrams and pot calls, but I think I'm missing the boat if I don't try a box once in a while.  My problem is I have limited experience with box calls, and all I've ever tried is Lynch and Quaker boy but would love to try one of the custom boxes. How about hollaran's or woodhaven's??  I am looking forward to more posts concerning this, as I have never heard of a couple already mentioned. 

USMC0331

Pauls calls, which you can get a dvd with and will show you in detail on how to run call.