Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Lets get an update!

Started by gdublongwilly, April 14, 2013, 08:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdublongwilly

There hasn't been a lot of activity on our team thread.  Hopefully everyone is out in the woods.  Just drop a quick response to let us all know where you are at in the season.  Good Luck!

My Update:
I am getting ready for the youth opener this coming weekend (4/20/13) with the adults to follow the weekend (4/27/13) after that. I've been out a couple mornings scouting and had one of the best mornings ever this past week, sounded like 8-10 mature gobblers with a couple other gobblers roosted a couple hundred yards away from them.  They were going nuts, I almost thought I was at a turkey farm.  Today I sight in my new FFIII sight.  My Blood is starting to pump, definitely getting excited! 

gdublongwilly

I see wvboy smoked a nice one today.  Congratulations on a really nice bird!  Give us a story if you get time.

wvboy

It is a crazy story.. with a lot of misses and a very wet Turkey.. but I did finally put him down.. I will post it up ..

I am worried that other team members are not posting kills.. we are at Mid April fellas.. there should be more birds down than this unless you all live up north..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

bcknuts

Struck out the first week and a half. Going back to Sc tomarrow for my last week wish me :anim_25:

Kevin
Kevin

gdublongwilly

Quote from: bcknuts on April 20, 2013, 04:29:26 PM
Struck out the first week and a half. Going back to Sc tomarrow for my last week wish me :anim_25:

Kevin

:anim_25:

gdublongwilly

4/20/13
Took my son out for the youth season opener here in PA yesterday morning.  Had an amazing morning.  First gobbles started at 5:37 am (definitely the earliest I have ever heard gobbles).  Got set up about 100 yds above 3-4 gobblers before light.  They ended up having some hens with them but they all came out into the scrubby field that we were set up on.  Then what appeared to be 3 three year old birds came in from our left.  Those 3 birds appeared much larger than the four to our right.  They put on a show for us but never got any closer than about 50 yds.  The three long beards got ran out of the field by the other four longbeards henchman, a group of 5 jakes.  The four longbeards, 5 jakes and 5 hens hung out about 60-70 yds in front of us and to our right the enitre time.  Finally one of the 3 longbeards made his way around the edge of the field and up behind us.  I could hear him spitting and drumming on the road we walked in on just above us about 40 yds.  Finally the jakes started dragging all the turkeys our way right in front of us.  I whispered to my son that if these jakes make it past us without seeing us, we are in business, but I didn't expect to get away with it.  The lead jake got right in front of us at about 12 yds. and started to get suspicious and putted some.  He headed back over to the others and they continued feeding and strutting etc...  The whole time, my son was shaking like a leaf.  It was cold and windy yesterday morning and it was probably a good thing the wind was blowing as it made my son appear as part of the landscape as his shaking was uncontrollable.  Then the longbeard behind us made his way down to our left and presented my son with a 25 yd shot.  jThis was at 7:40 am.  We had sat there for almost exactly two hours now.  He shot but missed (the fact he was shaking uncontrollably probably had a little to do with it).  The birds hung around for a bit longer and then left the field.  I tried to call them back, but it did not happen.  We had an amazing show this morning and even though we did not end up killing a bird, I'm sure it will go down in our memories as one of our best mornings ever.  I would have had some video of the action from my I-phone but we had so many eyes around, that I didn't even want to attempt to get into my pocket to retrieve my phone.  My son was dissapointed some, but it really didn't bother him that much because of all the other things he got to see this morning.  It was like turkey behavior education 101 with everything that the turkeys were doing.  It was the first time my son got to witness that much activity up close and personal.

theghost_03

I am up in MN but heading to Kansas next weekend and then a few more trips thru May. Good luck boys ill keep ya updated!
"In the spring we STRUT, and in the fall we RUT"
GOBBLER DOWN CUSTOM CALLS

wvboy

Quote from: gdublongwilly on April 21, 2013, 09:55:00 AM
4/20/13
Took my son out for the youth season opener here in PA yesterday morning.  Had an amazing morning.  First gobbles started at 5:37 am (definitely the earliest I have ever heard gobbles).  Got set up about 100 yds above 3-4 gobblers before light.  They ended up having some hens with them but they all came out into the scrubby field that we were set up on.  Then what appeared to be 3 three year old birds came in from our left.  Those 3 birds appeared much larger than the four to our right.  They put on a show for us but never got any closer than about 50 yds.  The three long beards got ran out of the field by the other four longbeards henchman, a group of 5 jakes.  The four longbeards, 5 jakes and 5 hens hung out about 60-70 yds in front of us and to our right the enitre time.  Finally one of the 3 longbeards made his way around the edge of the field and up behind us.  I could hear him spitting and drumming on the road we walked in on just above us about 40 yds.  Finally the jakes started dragging all the turkeys our way right in front of us.  I whispered to my son that if these jakes make it past us without seeing us, we are in business, but I didn't expect to get away with it.  The lead jake got right in front of us at about 12 yds. and started to get suspicious and putted some.  He headed back over to the others and they continued feeding and strutting etc...  The whole time, my son was shaking like a leaf.  It was cold and windy yesterday morning and it was probably a good thing the wind was blowing as it made my son appear as part of the landscape as his shaking was uncontrollable.  Then the longbeard behind us made his way down to our left and presented my son with a 25 yd shot.  jThis was at 7:40 am.  We had sat there for almost exactly two hours now.  He shot but missed (the fact he was shaking uncontrollably probably had a little to do with it).  The birds hung around for a bit longer and then left the field.  I tried to call them back, but it did not happen.  We had an amazing show this morning and even though we did not end up killing a bird, I'm sure it will go down in our memories as one of our best mornings ever.  I would have had some video of the action from my I-phone but we had so many eyes around, that I didn't even want to attempt to get into my pocket to retrieve my phone.  My son was dissapointed some, but it really didn't bother him that much because of all the other things he got to see this morning.  It was like turkey behavior education 101 with everything that the turkeys were doing.  It was the first time my son got to witness that much activity up close and personal.

I feel for you man.. my 9 year old missed on our opener 25 yd shot too.. I have since bought a Red Dot and put on the Gun and sighted it in for him.. Saturday I had one at 20 yds behind us but never presented a shot.. I have been working hard to get him a bird this year .. and probably would already be tagged out if not taking him so much on Saturdays..

appalachianstruttstopper

Well, I am working 5 days a week now, and my son killed one on opening day 04.13.13 in VA, and my nephew went with me last saturday, 04.20.13 and killed one. So, I have had a great year so far, I just haven't been the one pulling the trigger. I get to hunt about 2hrs after work each day because our season closes at noon and I don't get home until after 9. In saying that though, I did manage to miss on a standing still open 30yd shot last tuesday, called up a superjake last thursday, and finally scored on a nice bird today. 19lbs, 10" beard, and 1" spurs. Doesn't score compared to my FL bird, so I am just savin' my time and hit the bed instead of posting a pic. Good luck yall!!

gdublongwilly

Quote from: appalachianstruttstopper on April 25, 2013, 01:40:50 PM
Well, I am working 5 days a week now, and my son killed one on opening day 04.13.13 in VA, and my nephew went with me last saturday, 04.20.13 and killed one. So, I have had a great year so far, I just haven't been the one pulling the trigger. I get to hunt about 2hrs after work each day because our season closes at noon and I don't get home until after 9. In saying that though, I did manage to miss on a standing still open 30yd shot last tuesday, called up a superjake last thursday, and finally scored on a nice bird today. 19lbs, 10" beard, and 1" spurs. Doesn't score compared to my FL bird, so I am just savin' my time and hit the bed instead of posting a pic. Good luck yall!!

Congrats on the success & good luck to you as well.  Just getting ready Saturday up here as it is are official opener.  Will get my last couple nights of good rest before I am up every morning looking for the elusive Hog Gobbler!  Good luck everyone!

bcknuts

Well season is over for me.Had my worst season in years.weather was bad birds getting with hens off roost .Had hens running to the toms before it was good light.Hard to beat that. So all I can do is support my team mates. Sorry team

Kevin
Kevin

theghost_03

Just posted my Rio. Ill get my stories up once my seasons are done heading to sd  this weekend!
"In the spring we STRUT, and in the fall we RUT"
GOBBLER DOWN CUSTOM CALLS

gdublongwilly

wvboy

I am afraid that we have a bunch of members that are just not going to contribute .. I must be jinxed .. same thing happened on the team I was on last year and it went belly up this year and we all scattered..

gdublongwilly

I know, not many team members have been on here.  I have been trying awful hard, been out every day of season except one thus far.  Only had my red dot on one head, but didn't feel comfortable with the shot.  The hunting has been real tough for me this year.  I can't seem to find a bird without hens. Will keep at it and hopefully post a good score for us.