OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

sights/scope/red dot /plain bead

Started by noggin buster, April 13, 2013, 12:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many use what?

Scope
10 (16.4%)
Red dot
16 (26.2%)
Just front bead
19 (31.1%)
front and rear sights
16 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

noggin buster

I just took off my scope and went back to the plain bead and rear sight. Trying to simplify my set up. What is everyone using.

BrowningGuy88

Right now I am running double beads on my 20 gauge 870 and a single fiber optic bead on my 935. Both shoot to POA with their preferred loads.

I have a FF3 to mount, but I may just leave my turkey rigs alone and put it on an AR 15.

Tom Foolery

teke

chatterbox

FFIII on my 835, and FFII on my boy's 20 ga.

beagler

Aimpoint 9000SC red dot scope on both my Benelli SBE 2 and Mossberg 825.
Burris FFIII on my daughter's 20ga Mossberg 510 Mini Turkey Thug.
Never Misses

bencattin

Started killing them with a bead, went to sights, then to a red dot and now a 4 power scope. Love the scope except for hunting in the rain.
IF TURKEYS COULD SMELL WE WOULD NEVER KILL ONE!

alclark2

scope.. gotta watch the eye releif when shooting turkey loads though. I wasn't a fan of the red dot. I wouldn't be opposed to a bead but my factory 835 sights were terrible so I went with optics since it was tapped.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Old Gobbler

Burris , Illuminated Scope TAC30

I used beads forever , but got tired of adjusting for point of aim , as I got older my vision started to go down the crapper , and looking down glo-dots then focusing on a moving gobblers neck got to be time consuming at the moment of truth for a person with less than perfect vision , you know how it is sometimes , that head pops up for just a second next thing he is behind some sticks and the opportunity has passed

About 8 years ago I went to a Low Power Bushnell Plex and last year I upgraded to the Burris , all I can say is if its 14 yards of 40 my shots are lighting quick in acquisition  and very accurate/

You would think with a scope it would hurt your close in shots , but the close shots are so easy now with a clear scope - If I lost my scope , I would run out and buy another Burris TAC30 right away , its such a nice scope with clear crisp optics   
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

30_06

I'm using a Nikon scope, and really don't have any complaints. Still would like to give the Burris FF3 or something similar a try though.

mcgruff1533

I tried the fiber sights on my Mossy 535, but didn't trust them.   There was too much play in the rear sight, and just rubbing against my vest would move the sight.   I installed a Tru Glo red dot sight and  I'm much happier now.

AndyH

I have a Burris FF2 on my 870. I just got tired of having to compensate for different POA and POI

SCDieselDawg

I've got one of all but the bead. Vision has started degrading and beads are hard to see. So I started experimenting this year with upgrades.  So far I'm leaning towards fiber optic sights. Mainly cause they are light weight and compact. But the red dot is probably in a close second.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

With my 870 or BPS, just put the bead on the bottom of the neck and shoot. 
POI is a little high of POA.

tomstopper

Bead right now, but next year I am going to be looking for a sight like the Burris fast fire or something similar for my Stoeger 3500. However my Winchester 1300 has had a bead on it since day one, & that has never failed me. Its all about what works for you & your specific gun IMO...... Good luck.