OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tough Eastern Gobblers

Started by anbrown, April 12, 2013, 03:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anbrown

So I'm fairly new to turkey hunting, but my first locator call followed by a shock gobble has had me hooked since the season started.

I've roosted a couple of gobblers at a club I hunt. The problem is that they will gobble from the roost in the morning, but shut up dead silent as soon as they hit the ground and head straight for a field off our property.

My question is where I should be setting up? I'm assuming between the roost and the field, it only seems logical. But how far from the roost? I tried one morning on the opposite side and they hit the ground going the opposite direction.

Also, how much should I be calling before and after they fly down. I know not to call too much after locating, but what about when they hit the ground? Occasionally? Enough to keep up a "convo"?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

FL-Boss

Slip in before quietly 45 min before day break.  Set up in their path before they get to the other property ( if you can)  Try to stay 100 yards away.. depending on the land.. how much cover you have, etc.  You can hit the owl call once to be sure they are there... no need to do it anymore once you know they are there.  Don't call any before fly down. When he hits the ground... be silent if he is working in your direction....no need to call.   If not... hit the call softly once to let him know you are there. Then do light calling every 30 min or so after

Also.. give it time... my gobblers haven't been gobbling much after roost until the hens break away from them... around 9:00

tomstopper

Quote from: FL-Boss on April 12, 2013, 04:08:18 PM
Slip in before quietly 45 min before day break.  Set up in their path before they get to the other property ( if you can)  Try to stay 100 yards away.. depending on the land.. how much cover you have, etc.  You can hit the owl call once to be sure they are there... no need to do it anymore once you know they are there.  Don't call any before fly down. When he hits the ground... be silent if he is working in your direction....no need to call.   If not... hit the call softly once to let him know you are there. Then do light calling every 30 min or so after

Also.. give it time... my gobblers haven't been gobbling much after roost until the hens break away from them... around 9:00
:agreed: this is good advice......

anbrown

Quote from: tomstopper on April 13, 2013, 08:41:35 AM
Quote from: FL-Boss on April 12, 2013, 04:08:18 PM

:agreed: this is good advice......

Thanks gentlemen! I hunted another property today with some great success. Heard four different gobblers about 200 yrds apart. I was able to get two of them within 100 yrds but the thick SC woods near the swamp just wasn't good for a clean shot. I will say that though it was a different spot, the turkeys were pretty quiet until about 0900, which seems much later compared to the first few weeks of the season.

I plan to take your advice and head back to the spot I originally mentioned. Two things based on your advice that I was doing wrong. I set up on the wrong side, which was pretty obvious but I was also making too much noise I think. I was calling too much before they flew down. Points noted!! I'll hit the woods first chance I get and let you guys know how it goes!

THANKS!!!