turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Mexico

Started by Kcurtisjr, April 11, 2013, 09:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kcurtisjr

I went out over the weekend and saw some birds in higher elevations.  But we did not hear anything. 

Kcurtisjr

Picked up a little bit today.  They gobbled off the roost and then sent quiet. 

elpepe25

predictions fer how its gonna look in a week?
La onda es mia

Kcurtisjr

I think if the temps stay into the 70's it will be great hunting. 

elpepe25

will be headed over from AZ. on fri or sat.
La onda es mia

quackaddict

Heading to the Gila this weekend. Hope the wind stays away.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

GobbleNut

I have never seen our southern NM birds as quiet as they have been this year.  A little gobbling on the roost,...if you can find them before the wind picks up,...and very little once they get on the ground.  I think the problem in the Lincoln, at least, is that there are very few two-year-olds around to stir up the action.   ...Hoping that things pick up in these last two weeks.  I've heard they have started to get a bit more active during the second week.

Kcurtisjr

I definitely hope so.  I'm headed back out the last week.

elpepe25

Just had a rough week in the Gila.  VERY LITTLE TALKING.  SUPER WINDY.  I left frustrated
La onda es mia

quackaddict

Ended up going to Lincoln instead of the Gila. Headed to a spot that I've never NOT heard 3 or 4 birds in the mornings. Zip, zero, nada. Although a damn 4-wheeler rolled up to the knob right about gobble time and started blowing some kind of call as soon as he shut-off. I'm not real sure what it was supposed to sound like. Maybe a crow that was half-dead? Called up a couple of lonely hens, but that was it. Those 4-wheelers get me frustrated everytime I go up there. Doesn't seem like anyone wants to use their feet, so they just try to hunt off the 4-wheelers, which seems to make the birds extremely call shy.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

GobbleNut

"Although a damn 4-wheeler rolled up to the knob right about gobble time and started blowing some kind of call as soon as he shut-off. I'm not real sure what it was supposed to sound like. Maybe a crow that was half-dead? Called up a couple of lonely hens, but that was it. Those 4-wheelers get me frustrated everytime I go up there. Doesn't seem like anyone wants to use their feet, so they just try to hunt off the 4-wheelers, which seems to make the birds extremely call shy."---quote

Yeah, the ATV problem in the Lincoln needs to be addressed.  There is a no-off-roading policy, but a certain percentage of ATV users there just seem to ignore it.  Every place you go there is evidence of off-roaders driving right around barriers clearly indicating that the area is closed. 

Our NWTF group has even assisted the Forest Service in placing barriers.  Last summer, we put some GIANT boulders in front of a closed road with signs indicating it is closed.  Some *$&£"*%& tore down the sign and towed one of the rocks out of the way so they could drive though!  We have lobbied the FS to institute an ATV-confiscation policy for people who get caught, but for some reason they won't do it.  If they would take away a few of the lawbreakers ATV's, the problem would stop very quickly. 

As for the gobbling activity, I am headed back up tomorrow to try again.  ....Will report later as to whether the birds are getting any more active.  At least the wind is not supposed to be as bad for a while.   

Kcurtisjr

I here you on the ATV/UTV's and not paying attention to the rules/regulations. I've always wanted to just start dropping trees at the entrance to the trails but realized I would be the start of another problem.  I don't know a solution but something should be done to unforced the current rules.

More importantly....Good luck to everyone.

howl

Quote from: quackaddict on April 29, 2013, 10:25:10 AM
Ended up going to Lincoln instead of the Gila. Headed to a spot that I've never NOT heard 3 or 4 birds in the mornings. Zip, zero, nada. Although a damn 4-wheeler rolled up to the knob right about gobble time and started blowing some kind of call as soon as he shut-off. I'm not real sure what it was supposed to sound like. Maybe a crow that was half-dead? Called up a couple of lonely hens, but that was it. Those 4-wheelers get me frustrated everytime I go up there. Doesn't seem like anyone wants to use their feet, so they just try to hunt off the 4-wheelers, which seems to make the birds extremely call shy.

I know it's frustrating, but that was funny. Never have figured out how they don't know how a crow sounds.

wvboy

Quote from: Kcurtisjr on April 30, 2013, 09:16:39 PM
I here you on the ATV/UTV's and not paying attention to the rules/regulations. I've always wanted to just start dropping trees at the entrance to the trails but realized I would be the start of another problem.  I don't know a solution but something should be done to unforced the current rules.

More importantly....Good luck to everyone.

Roofing Tacs seem to work pretty well :)
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

quackaddict

Quote from: howl on May 02, 2013, 10:40:26 AM
Quote from: quackaddict on April 29, 2013, 10:25:10 AM

I know it's frustrating, but that was funny. Never have figured out how they don't know how a crow sounds.

It is funny. I honestly am not sure what kind of call he was blowing. It was just an obnoxious whail. I wish I could have recorded it for y'all to hear.

This front blowing in looks like it's going to knock the birds back for the last weekend. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to waste the gas money or not  :-\