turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Noob with questions?

Started by the noobie, March 07, 2011, 06:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the noobie

:hello99:  I guess first i will do my "introduction".  So im just a teen that has been around hunting and fishing my whole life.  Ive never really turkey hunted the correct way its usually just stepping out the front door and taking one when its near the house.

My main question is what else do i need to own and effectively use a slate pot call?  Ive been browsing here and some guys are talking about "chalk" others "sanding their slates" and some about different strikers.  Im going to get me a slate call but what else do i need?

pappy

:wagon:  first off, if you are wanting to start out right there are several things that would be effective. First, I would contact the callmaker, talk to him about building you a call, and ask him about the type ofhunting you are wanting to do. He will help you with using the call and how to keep it ready to go.  Choosing strikers is like choosing the color of your next new truck....whatever hits your fancy, as each striker changes the pitch of a call, from high to low and raspy to screaming kee-kke ! I would suggest you get a hand full and play around with them. Chalk you shouldn't need, carry a lighter with you if your in a wet area, dry the slate somewhat and the tip of the striker, you'll need to get some scotch brite to condition your pot call. But, more then likely if you buy one from a cllmaker all of the "needed conditioning" items should be included in your purchase. I sell my duals with two strikers, scotch brite and if necessary a diamond dust wheel for glas.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

the noobie

I am currently emailing someone on a call that might be what I'm looking for, hes from the forum as well. 

When your saying carry a lighter are you indicating that you can just put open flame on the playing surface without damaging it? 

And then is it tough to make strikers? i have a lathe i have small tools and i have a nova chuck is there anything else that would be needed? it would be kinda neat to be able to make my own and see what i can do.

the noobie

Is there anyone on here that offers a call with striker (type of wood is of no issue) for $35 or less?  I dont want to invest a large amount of money into a call and in 3 years decide turkey hunting just isnt for me and have a very nice call on my hands with nothing to do.    :thanks:

the noobie

:boon:  PM sent ScreaminSkullCalls