Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Question for you guys

Started by barry, April 08, 2013, 01:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

Hope y'all don't mind me posting on your site but I thought who better to ask this question to than you guys.
If you were going to have one trumpet made to hunt with what wood would you choose to make it from? More interested in sound than how it looks.
Thanks guys and good luck with your season!
Barry

TRKYHTR

I like a hard wood. Like a desert ironwood or ebony. I have a lignum vitae in my vest this year.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

merocustomcalls

I like anything in the rosewood family, especially Kingwood.

savduck

Coco, black and white ebony, rosewood, and Olive wood are my favorites.
Georgia Boy

davisd9

Saw this as well and hope you do not mind me sharing.  Billy Buice recommended the Osage to hunt with.  It is what he uses and if it is good enough for a gentleman like him then it is more than good enough for me, I have had birds gobble to it muliple times and it is what I used to tree yelp and do my after fly down yelps on the opening morning bird I killed from roost.  Good Luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Basser69

I like Coco and osage but like everyone else has said, "stay in the hardwood family"

barry

Quote from: davisd9 on April 09, 2013, 08:45:13 AM
Saw this as well and hope you do not mind me sharing.  Billy Buice recommended the Osage to hunt with.  It is what he uses and if it is good enough for a gentleman like him then it is more than good enough for me, I have had birds gobble to it muliple times and it is what I used to tree yelp and do my after fly down yelps on the opening morning bird I killed from roost.  Good Luck!

I hear ya Davis, I have a Buice osage as well, like you said..."if it is good enough for a gentleman like him then it is more than good enough for me" I'm just thinking about my next call

VanHelden Game Calls

All else being equal I pick African blackwood. 

There is a reason its used for instruments.

Basser69

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on April 09, 2013, 12:00:14 PM
All else being equal I pick African blackwood. 

There is a reason its used for instruments.

Douglas you have a point there. Never thought about it

savduck

Barry, I'd suggest an olivewood. I've never blown an olivewood that sounded bad by any call maker.

I like Osage too, but I knew you already had one by Buice.
Georgia Boy

davisd9

Quote from: barry on April 09, 2013, 11:29:47 AM
Quote from: davisd9 on April 09, 2013, 08:45:13 AM

I hear ya Davis, I have a Buice osage as well, like you said..."if it is good enough for a gentleman like him then it is more than good enough for me" I'm just thinking about my next call

Awesome.  Did not realize you had one.  My next is the Olivewood.  That Buice Olivewood is down right geourgous!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jbrown

My favorite is lignum vitae, I like and have several  from Mr Billy in diff woods, all are pure gobbler. You can't go wrong with any of the woods mentioned.