turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gun camo

Started by sparelink, March 07, 2011, 05:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparelink

How important is it to have camo on your gun. I have a buddy that says don't worry about it and one says don't enter the woods without it.

What do you all think?

Skeeterbait

Important, yes, necessary no.  I would be more concerned that what ever you use does not shine or glint.

Kylongspur88

I've killed a lot of birds with wood finish on my 870. Wood got scuffed up so I spent 2.50 on a can of black krylon and it looks as good as any synthetic gun.

alloutdoors

I wouldn't worry about camo, but I do prefer a matte finish on the barrel to prevent shine.  Even that isn't an issue unless one catches you off guard or slips in from the side.  If your gun is already up and pointed in the bird's general direction when he shows up it doesn't much matter what it looks like, because then all he can see is a straight on view of the barrel anyway.

guesswho

Movement at the wrong time is what will get you busted, not an uncamoed gun.    But I spray paint my guns with a flat paint to eliminate any shine as mentioned earlier.  One thing about it, camo ain't going to hurt.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

reynolds243

both my guns are camo....HOWEVER i dont really buy into the hype of camo that some do. i have killed a number of birds in a short sleeve camo shirt and sometimes that AND facemask. I only wear gloves from time to time as well. I do my best to have on full camo and a faskmask but sometimes stuff happens and i forget it or just too dang hot. the key IMO is to be as still as humanly possible. if you dont move he will not really be able to tell what you are.

bowhunter84

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 07, 2011, 05:09:43 PM
Important, yes, necessary no.  I would be more concerned that what ever you use does not shine or glint.
:agreed:

harvester

Its not that really important having a camo gun. There has been MANY birds killed with regular ole shotguns. If your gun is shiny and you don't want to camo it, try and setup in the shadows whenever possible. You could get a gun sock and slide over the barrell.

archery1

they had a study the other year. camo is the most wanted feature in a gun............needed.....no........... just .......wanted. as long as ur gun is not shiny and has a dull finsh you are fine...
Take a kid hunting

stinkpickle

Not at all.  I still don't use a camo gun.  Up until a few years ago, I used glossy wood and blued guns...well, about as glossy as Mossberg makes, anyway.   :D

ThicketThrasher

It isn't necessary at all. I really don't think that a shiny gun really matters. That being said, I put camo clad tape on my back up gun. I think it matters way more to the hunter than to the turkey.

WyoHunter

My thoughts too!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

hookedspur

:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Reloader

Quote from: sparelink on March 07, 2011, 05:05:05 PM
How important is it to have camo on your gun. I have a buddy that says don't worry about it and one says don't enter the woods without it.

What do you all think?

Would you hunt without a face mask on? Without gloves? Without camo clothes?  If you wear camo, you might as well have a camo gun as there is absolutely no difference in my eyes.  I use camo on everything, I even stain my striker tops.  I feel movement is the key, but shall you move a bit and not know a tom is around, camo on everything is a huge advantage.  I feel you can get away with slight movements much better if the gun is camo.  The objective is to be as still as possible, but movement is required at times. Ever had a tom fire off at close range and your gun is laying across your lap? The last thing you want is the glimmer of a glossy barrel when you ease it into place.  Say you see the tom and he goes behind a tree, time to make your move, but what if a hen is standing 50yds off to the side and you didn't even know she was around...... I'll take the advantage of camo every time. They pick up on noncamo movement far quicker than camo.

BrowningGuy88

I have never had an all camo gun. I have killed 25-30 turkeys and my grandfather has killed 3 or 4 times that. He has only two turkey guns. Win 1300 NWTF Laminate/Blued and a JC Higgins SXS modified/full with 30" blued barrels. I run a 870 with camo stocks and a matte blue barrel. This year I am going to try a Model 12 with a 30" barrel and it is shiny. I have never had a turkey spook that I knew of anyway due to seeing my gun. I just set up in the shadows and carry a pair of snips with me and cut me a few gallberries and make a quick blind. It works for me.

That being said if I ever buy another dedicated turkey rig, it will be an all camo over/under or automatic.

Daman