OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 21 inch new sights?

Started by Sqrlhuntr!, April 06, 2013, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sqrlhuntr!

I have just recently got into turkey hunting the last couple of years.I have just purchased an 870 21" barrel. I ordered a .660 jelly head choke. I know very little about shotguns. I am a squirrel hunter, and would love to learn from some of you more seasoned hunters.... I have shot several times.. Patterns. in which I'm not to happy with. My POA is not the same as my POI, in which I have learned from some of the post on here.. I guess the only way to change is to get differt sights? So I guess I'm asking what , and,which is the best sight, choke and shell combo is? Thank you!

nogoodreezen

Shell and choke is a trial and error type of thing. I have a pure gold on my 835 and a Sumtoy choke on my 20 gauge. I run Truglo red dots on both. If you want open sight Truglo also makes some nice fully adjustable fiber optics. Not a lot of help I know but sight are a preference thing.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

grayfox

I too had trouble with my 870 3" chamber 21" barrel getting the pattern I wanted.  I just bought some Hevi-13 2 oz. #6 shooting through a Carlson & Primos Jellyhead choke.  Both chokes are .665 & shoot about the same.  Around 359-379 in a 30" circle at 40 yds.  It also patterned ok with Winchester HV Supreme 1 & 3/4 oz of #6 shot with the Jellyhead choke. 338 shot in a 30" circle at 40 yds.  Maybe you will have better luck with yours.  I also just zeroed in a red dot on it but haven't hunted with it yet.  I think I'm gonna really like it.  21" barrels & my older eyes don't go good together with factory sights.  I could do ok with fiber optics on the front of the barrel only.  I do like the 21" barrel for getting around in the woods easier.

SCDieselDawg

I started on a 21" barreled 870 a month or so ago. I finally got a good pattern from a .660 JH and 3" mag blends (around 200 in a 10" circle at 40yds).  Bad thing is I had to put a scope on it because my aftermarket fiber optic sights ran out of adjustment.

FL-Boss

start the pattern test close... like 10-15 yards with cheep bird shot.  Once you get the POA correct... get some HEVI 13 #6, #7 or mag blends and move the target out to 40 yards.
Your gun and choke combo is great.

schief

i have a 870 with 21" barrel. got me a Sumtoy choke and Fed. HW #7. excellent pattern