turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New SSX siezed in barrel

Started by Philippe, April 06, 2013, 03:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

While i have a  great respect for Clark(he's probably forgotten more about shotgus than i will ever know!)i'm going to have to disagree a little on the use of anti seize.A lot of guys will install a choke tube dry and leave it in for long periods of time without removing it as part of their gun cleaning regimen.It mostley occurrs when a gun is out in the cold and brought in a warm house repeately over the course of a season.The steel warms up and condensation forms between the choke and barrel,which if not lubed will start to rust and add in a minor amount of choke swell and you end up with a stuck tube.Now that is more common to happen on a waterfowl gun that sees cold temps and steel shot,but it can happen in any gun.I use a small amount of a high quality anti seize on the threads,i screw the choke in to seat it,then i remove it and wipe of the excess,wipe a small amount of light lube on the unthreaded portion of the choke and then reinstall.Just a small amount,a little bit will go a long way!Then i leave it in till turkey season is over,so there is no possibility of a poi change.Then it stays in until  seasons  over and sleep easy knowing it will come out.I'm with Clark with cleaning the threads on choke and in the gun,can get alot of gunk built up there that can cause problems,i clean them every time i do a complete cleaning,especially before any long term storage.Just passing along what works for me..ward

the Ward

But i think sometime a tube can get stuck due to a "stack up" in tolerances.If a choke tube o.d. is toward the max allowable specs,and the barrel i.d. is on the small side,htl,which is harder than steel is pushed through it,it may cause it to stick due to a small amount of swelling.I believe all chokes will swell to a small degree when shooting htl or steel through them,so its possible that is what occured.Not stating this as fact,just my opinion on when a new choke,installed correctly, gets stuck for no obvious reasons.

Philippe

Quote from: the Ward on April 07, 2013, 10:06:52 AM
But i think sometime a tube can get stuck due to a "stack up" in tolerances.If a choke tube o.d. is toward the max allowable specs,and the barrel i.d. is on the small side,htl,which is harder than steel is pushed through it,it may cause it to stick due to a small amount of swelling.I believe all chokes will swell to a small degree when shooting htl or steel through them,so its possible that is what occured.Not stating this as fact,just my opinion on when a new choke,installed correctly, gets stuck for no obvious reasons.

No HTL of any type has been thru this choke yet. Just lead. Im hesitant to even shoot it again.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I used to just put a light coat of Rem oil on my choke threads and I never had any issues with stuck chokes.  I now put a little of the Pro Shot choke tube lube.  It only takes a little bit.  It's supposed to prevent choke tubes from being seized.  Some chokes depending on how they are theaded will have a tendency to tighten up a lot tighter than others.  Some chokes have a tendency to not tighten up as tight and actually can come lose after shooting.  Some of the chokes that tighten up more than others have a tendency to only get tighter the more you shoot through it.  You may have got one of those chokes.  I would get some of the anti seize choke lube and use it.  I would spray that choke after you clean it with Rem oil. on the threads.  Then apply the anti seize choke lube.  Just put a little dab on the lower threads. 

http://www.proshotproducts.com/Choke-Tube-Lube-2-oz-jar_p_613.html

ILIKEHEVI-13

Trust me nothing will prevent a choke from getting stuck, seized or corroded up to where you can't remove it better than a good choke anti seize.  Using Rem oil only will most of the time work, but using both will be the best of both worlds. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

All the Rem oil does and it's best to spray it on the threads with the yellow nozzle prior to applying the choke lube is it makes sure that all debris is removed from threads and it also provides a layer of corrosion resistance.  Try this method and don't let what happen to you ever happen again.  And another thing is don't over tighten your choke tubes. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: the Ward on April 07, 2013, 09:44:36 AM
While i have a  great respect for Clark(he's probably forgotten more about shotgus than i will ever know!)i'm going to have to disagree a little on the use of anti seize.A lot of guys will install a choke tube dry and leave it in for long periods of time without removing it as part of their gun cleaning regimen.It mostley occurrs when a gun is out in the cold and brought in a warm house repeately over the course of a season.The steel warms up and condensation forms between the choke and barrel,which if not lubed will start to rust and add in a minor amount of choke swell and you end up with a stuck tube.Now that is more common to happen on a waterfowl gun that sees cold temps and steel shot,but it can happen in any gun.I use a small amount of a high quality anti seize on the threads,i screw the choke in to seat it,then i remove it and wipe of the excess,wipe a small amount of light lube on the unthreaded portion of the choke and then reinstall.Just a small amount,a little bit will go a long way!Then i leave it in till turkey season is over,so there is no possibility of a poi change.Then it stays in until  seasons  over and sleep easy knowing it will come out.I'm with Clark with cleaning the threads on choke and in the gun,can get alot of gunk built up there that can cause problems,i clean them every time i do a complete cleaning,especially before any long term storage.Just passing along what works for me..ward

You have properly corrected me. I shoot pretty much all year long, unless the weather just won't allow me to do that. I change chokes in many of my guns quite often and each time I do that, I normally clean threads on both the choke and in the gun barrel.

Not many of my shotguns are stored for any period of time but when they are and if they have removable chokes, I will lubricate them while they are stored. When I get them out to shoot them, I'll clean off the lubrication and shoot them dry. I've followed that procedure for so many years, I'm not even sure when I started it but it's worked for me and I've never had a tube seize in a barrel.

Of the barrels I've seen with seized tubes, most have used a system where chokes thread at the muzzle end. Chokes shoot a bit loose and then gas and or debris blows by and causes the choke to either collapse (much worse than expanding) or expand. Extraction can be very difficult and those chokes are always ruined and will never go back into the barrel.

I have also seen circumstances when grit has somehow entered the muzzle and gotten into the threads and caused extraction to become very difficult but when the tube is extracted you can see no damage to anything whatsoever, just a bunch of gunk that needs to be removed.

It is also true that anything that can happen will happen and if you stay around these guns long enough and see enough of them, you'll probably see it.

Thanks again,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ILIKEHEVI-13

And as Clark mentioned, it is a good idea to clean the barrel choke thread as well from time to time.  I usually do this when I clean my barrel.  But I don't clean my barrel but as often as some. 

the Ward

Clark and Hevi,thanks for the info!.You both brought up some very good points concerning the choke threads, and also where they're placed on the choke itself.That's why i love OG,the more i'm on here the more i learn new things that i might otherwise not have thought of!Maybe Philippe can return it if he has anymore problems with it sticking and get a new one to try.I think tru-glo has a warranty on them but not positive.Might have just gotten a bad one,it happens once in a while.Thanks again guys,and i hope you get it working good Philippe!...ward

goblr77

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 07, 2013, 12:51:59 PM
Trust me nothing will prevent a choke from getting stuck, seized or corroded up to where you can't remove it better than a good choke anti seize.  Using Rem oil only will most of the time work, but using both will be the best of both worlds.

Rem oil works well for me. Never had a choke stick, even through high volume dove shooting.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Myles,

I haven't either.  But I had a guy tell me why not use the best stuff on the market just to be over sure.  For $6 like he said, better safe than sorry.  So I now use both.