turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New SSX siezed in barrel

Started by Philippe, April 06, 2013, 03:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

Took the 870sm out to test some more lead loads with the SSX after two shots with the fed turkey thug 3.5-6's i tried to swap chokes, well it aint happnin! I have the barrel full of foaming bore cleaner now. Anyone have any issues like this with the SSX?

chatterbox

Not a lick of trouble with mine. I have shot around 35 shells out of my 835 and my SSX. Dove, Hevi-13, and Win XRHD loads.

Philippe

Strange, i put lube on the threads like i normally do and hand tightened. Dunno...

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Philippe on April 06, 2013, 03:57:56 PM
Took the 870sm out to test some more lead loads with the SSX after two shots with the fed turkey thug 3.5-6's i tried to swap chokes, well it aint happnin! I have the barrel full of foaming bore cleaner now. Anyone have any issues like this with the SSX?

I've never had a choke of any brand seize in a barrel but I've removed a few, lots of brands, for fellow shooters. Some type of penetrating oil, WD-40, etc. applied liberally in and around the choke tube, a pair of vice grip pliers and a good bit of patience are usually required to remove one that is really stuck. A couple of turns at a time, at best, are what has worked in the past for me.

A lot of heat is generated by turning a stuck choke out and liberal amounts of the penetrating oil, regularly applied, are usually necessary. If the choke is stuck that badly, I would not be too concerned about the effects of the vice grips but you could pad them.

A couple of years ago a friend brought his gun to me with a brand new choke tube stuck as tightly as any I've ever seen. He'd shot it only a few times. It literally took me a good bit of 2 days, working on it for 1/2 hour at a time, using a full can of WD-40 and a lot of sweat to get it out.

Again, liberal amounts of penetrating oil and patience are usually needed to extract a stuck choke tube.

If I can help in any way, please let me know.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Rockhound

Philippe

I've armed myself with a can of deep creep, kroil a nice hair dryer for heat and padded adjustable pliers and just made a fresh kettle of tea. Seriously hope this works out, that choke shoots amazing patterns with those thugs!

darn2ten

Man, hate that for ya! My invector + ssx shoots really good patterns also. Never had a issue with a stuck choke, hope I never do. Good luck getting it out.

booth

I have had a ssx swell in my supernova.  And have seen another swell in a benelli.  Won't ever use one again.  To many better quality chokes made in the USA, not China. 

Philippe

Im just upset because i finally got one of the shotguns i've always wanted and took my time with 10 defferent chokes and many different shells, got it shooting great with mag blends and lead and this decides to happen! Then to top it off my hunting lease backed out on me so now im stuck on public land hunting blind...

AC7ION911

My SSX swelled slightly in my SBE II after I ran some Hevi Mag Blends through it, just enough though to conform to the barrel circumference where the choke seats though. It goes in and out without any trouble but snug! Yours could have swelled to the point that the threads are locked, ive heard people having issues with there guns threads not being tough enough to handle that set up FYI

Philippe

Ok finally got it out! From the time I posted this until now i had the muzzle end plugged and filled with seafoams deep creep, then i stuck it in my deep freezer for a few hours. Pulled it out, wipped off the frost and stuck a small stainless steel rod i had thru the ports on the choke and popped it right off. I had indeed lubed the threads, apparently the choke must have been made a tad small and fire formed to the barrel. It looks fine now and seems to thread back in ok after i cleaned it and reapplied fresh choke lube.

btmonnat

I always take mine out each time I clean my gun. When I put it back together I will take a tooth brush and put some break free on the threads. Works good for me.

chatterbox

This brings up a question for me. Does anyone use the anti-sieze lube that you put on the threads of a muzzleloader's breech plug?
I never do anything but make sure my threads are clean, and I have cleaned out my gun's threads in the barrel before I re-install my choke.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: chatterbox on April 07, 2013, 06:37:32 AM
This brings up a question for me. Does anyone use the anti-sieze lube that you put on the threads of a muzzleloader's breech plug?
I never do anything but make sure my threads are clean, and I have cleaned out my gun's threads in the barrel before I re-install my choke.

I recommend exactly what you're doing. I never put anything on choke threads, just clean thoroughly and install. It's also important to clean the threads in the muzzle of your gun. It does not take much "gunk" to cause a problem there.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Philippe on April 06, 2013, 11:31:57 PM
Ok finally got it out! From the time I posted this until now i had the muzzle end plugged and filled with seafoams deep creep, then i stuck it in my deep freezer for a few hours. Pulled it out, wipped off the frost and stuck a small stainless steel rod i had thru the ports on the choke and popped it right off. I had indeed lubed the threads, apparently the choke must have been made a tad small and fire formed to the barrel. It looks fine now and seems to thread back in ok after i cleaned it and reapplied fresh choke lube.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to remove it. Since it now goes back in and out freely, my guess is that there must have been some "gunk" of some kind that had gotten in your threads somehow and was just enough to lock it in place.

I never use anything on choke threads, just clean everything thoroughly. Tolerances can be very tight on some chokes/guns.

Glad you got your choke out but sorry to hear about your lease. Good luck this spring.

Thanks,
Clark