turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pa. Gobbling ?

Started by KJMUSA, April 06, 2013, 11:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJMUSA

Hello everyone, I am new to hunting turkey's and the forum. My question is this. I have been out in the woods this past week in Pennsylvania along the Appalachian Trail near Dauphin on Rte. 325. I have been trying to get something to shock gobble and the woods are completely silent other than other Owls answering me back. On my way home in the car at 55  mph I almost hit the Great  :gobble:Bearded One flying across the road and up the mountain at sunset. Do I need to stay in the woods till Darkness ? I almost had a bad run in with a Bear like this one time so to be Honest without a fire going once it get's dark I get spooked easy especially when I am by myself. Where I am going there are lots of Bear sign. I carry a .45 acp just in case.  :gobble:

Longbeardfever4ever

I'm located near Jersey Shore, Williamsport area.  I was out yesterday morning and a couple birds were real hot.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Sully53

I'm heading up to our cabin in Sullivan Co. next weekend to do a little trout fishing and some scouting, hope to locate a few birds then, looking forward to getting the season started!!!

paboxcall

Sunday, 4/7 North central PA:

Daybreak temperature: 40
Mostly sunny
Barometric pressure:  Trending downward overnight
Light winds

Birds gobbling:  3

Stopped a few places during daybreak but didn't hear any other gobblers other than the three at first light.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

gdublongwilly

Heard a couple from my back door this morning!!  Was nice to hear em' & got my blood pumpin' a little bit!  Looking forward to the opening weekend!   :funnyturkey:

KJMUSA

Thanks for talking about it. I guess they're starting to warm up. I'm going out tomorrow weather permitting. Do any of you guy's have advice on where to start ? Should I be up high at first light and work my way down towards noon  :z-dizzy: or should I make sweeping circular motions encompassing the whole mountain. There is a beautiful trout stream at the bottom, do they like to breed on the beach ? :help: Last year I felt like I was wasting my time and I could see that my son was discouraged. I got him interested in going with me this year, but if we fail again I'm afraid he will give up on me. If I could just call one in even if it hangs up where he can see it, I know he will be hooked. Any advice is appreciated. :TrainWreck1:   

gdublongwilly

I try to get out before light and get to a spot where I can hear a long ways.  If I don't here anything usually by 6:20 am on most mornings then I will try an owl hoot or a couple calls.  I don't like to call much though when I am scouting, I prefer to let them gobble on their own.  Most of the time I do not have to do anything to get them to gobble as the crows or woodpeckers will get them to do it for me.  If you are out at first light and do not hear anything, try some of the above, but maybe there are no turkeys there either......   If you want to learn, do what I did and watch tons of tv shows and read read read.  Then when you think you know what you are doing, go out and let the turkeys make a fool of you over and over again.  I love turkey hunting and the turkeys have made me look like a blooming idiot more times than I care to remember.    I have three sons and its hard keeping there attention but I have explained to them since they were very young that it is the hunt that makes the memories and killing an animal is icing on the cake.  Keep taking your son out to experience the great outdoors and you'll have a good time even if you don't kill a turkey, but with time, you should be able to gain the experience to kill birds on a pretty consistent basis. Good luck!!!

jakebird

KJM, don't get discouraged. I happen to know you are in a good area because I've killed them in Clarks valley myself. These birds receive moderate pressure so they can be tough, butI've also found some pushover birds there from time to time. The biggest part to the killing curve on turkeys is just to put in as much time as possible and be persistent. Get to high ground early to listen and make your move as quickly as possible (quietly) close the distance on a roosted bird. A hundred yards is close enough. Try not to blow locator calls from the road. They've been hearing guys do that since early march and they prob won't buy it anymore. Have to put on your hiking boots but the birds are there. Good luck. Im hearing plenty of gobbling in several difft areas. Gonna be a good season boys!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

gdublongwilly

The mountains were alive this morning.......wheweeee!!  One started and then several joined in and it continued down the ridge for 150 yds.  Must have been around 10 different birds gobbling.  Good Morning!

WV TURKEY THUG

I heard one gobble march the 15 when I was at a hunting perserve about a hour and a half away from cabelas in wheeling wv.

WildSpur

One wanted to die last week when I was at the range.  Gobbled 100+ times and I left around 11am.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

Buckeye_Strutter_935

im in southeast ohio right on the ohio river and they are really starting to heat up so anyday they should start hammering in PA  :gobble: :gobble: :gobble: :gobble:
Feathers Fear Me

trkyslayer

A cold front came in Friday night with a storm and the gobbling quit around here in central Pa..for now  :gobble:

redsquirrelnj

I'm in North NJ and our season opens tomorrow.  Last Saturday morning I had one gobble just after first light, and then around 10 am I bumped 2 gobblers while scouting.  One of them gobbled for the next hour straight, must have been 60 or 70 times the whole time I walked back to the truck.  It has been windy the past week and this morning was cold.  I had one gobble just after light.  Hopefully all of this scouting pays off!

racksnspurs

I took my buddies son out for the youth hunt last Saturday.  We heard 4 different gobblers!  A lot more than I expected after having that big storm the night before.