turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Here's a Tall Tale for Ya

Started by TnTurk, April 06, 2013, 01:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TnTurk

I could'nt resist telling this story. It really happened this way. I was sitting on an old logging road around noon one day a couple of years ago listening (nappping) for that sound that gets all our hearts to thumping. A crow sounded off in the distant that was immediately followed by two distinct gobbles. I grabbed my gun and ran down the road to close the distance. As I rounded a bend in the road, the road came to T about 40 yards in front of me. I sat down, made a few soft clucks, and got an immediate response. Two gobblers soon showed themselves and knowing that they were'nt going to come down that road I was on, I opted for about a 35 yard shot. Must of pulled off a little because the bird I shot flew straight up in the air and off down in a bottom. I hurried to where the bird flew into the bottom and saw him squatted in brush pile. He knew the hide-and-go-seek game was over so off he took through the woods. Shot once... missed, shot again...missed, out of ammo. I watched as the bird went down through the hollow and up the other side. Now this is where it gets interesting. I'm standing on one side of a ridge that makes a big horseshoe and watching this bird run up the other side. When he hits the top of the other side, he makes a hard right turn. This is when it hits me. If this bird continues to run this ridgeline, he's going to run right back into me. I start fumbling for shells and can't find one. I look back up and he's running straight at me and closing fast. What do I do? We'll my baseball instinct's take over and when he runs by me at 3 feet, I took my gun and swung it like a baseball bat and hit him in the head with the barrell. Dead turkey. I kid you not, it really happened. I dont think I could make something like that up. I guess things like that is part of what drives us to chase those fantastic creatures.
God Bless, Steve