OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hearing protection ???

Started by TurkeyTim, March 07, 2011, 02:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurkeyTim

This is my third year of hunting turkeys and have been try to figure out what kind of hearing protection I can use while hunting.   My wife is a Speech Therapist and is always on my case about hearing protection because she seen the effects of loud noises and she does not want  me going "what did you say"  when I am a old man.  I have been patterning my gun and do wear some big ear muffs but I don't want to use them hunting. 

I  have been looking at all the different kinds of hearing protection and it looks like you use can spend a lot or not much at all.   What do you guys use if any?

Tim

sugarray

I don't worry about it while hunting.  I do not know the effects of one or 2 shots every now and then, though.

str8shooter

Wouldn't think of hunting or shooting without hearing protection.  A shotgun blast is 10 louder than audiologists say we need to be protected.  I wear ESP digital custom moulded plugs and they are great.  Expensive - yes, but worth the price in my estimation.  I can hear gobbles and birds drumming and walking at distances I never thought possible and when the gun goes off, the sound is muffled. 

mossy835

Being old and not hearing is not so bad, when the wife asks me what I ordered I feign I did not hear her (it does not work) but it keeps things lively.
Even ear plugs you throw away after one use is better than nothing and definitely use ear protection on the range.

WyoHunter

As I sit here reading this post my ears are ringing because I have tinnitis which was caused by ear plugs which were suppose to let me hear but keep out muzzle blast. Now I wear ear plugs and ear muffs while target shooting and patterning but not while turkey hunting. I've had this condition for 25 years and have got used to it but I wouldn't want anyone else to have it. Please wear ear plugs and ear muffs and protective eyewear while shooting.  :thanks:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Skeeterbait

I wear hearing protection only at the range and only started that maybe 20 years ago.  I am not going to tolerate it while hunting.  Everyone is different I suppose but I have been firing pistols, rifles and shotguns regularly since I was 10, about 42 years worth.  I have had my hearing checked and I only have slight high frequency loss in the left ear.  Had the doctor told me this I would never have known it.  I DO NOT listen to loud music or work in a loud environment.  I think a lot of people who accuse their hearing loss on their occasional firing of guns really have other daily activities that are to blame.

CASH

I'm not even 40 yet and I already say, "what did you say?".  "What?", "Huh?", "You talking to me?"
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

LeviSS

Howard Leight - Impact electronic muffs.  They are around $50, low profile, and sound great.  I use them for about everything I hunt, but haven't used them turkey hunting.  I know I should, but for the one or two shots while turkey hunting, I don't worry about it...although this year I may wear them.  They have great customer service as well.

HogBiologist

Quote from: CASH on March 07, 2011, 05:27:57 PM
I'm not even 40 yet and I already say, "what did you say?".  "What?", "Huh?", "You talking to me?"

Me too. And i am only 32.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

mike103

Quote from: LaBiologist on March 08, 2011, 10:13:44 AM

Yea but that's only when talking to your wife.

When your bud says, "who needs a beer"?

You hear just fine.

archery1

i just use the foam to fit ear plugs when i am shooting. never took any in the woods. can cause me to miss something.???? i dont think 1 or 2 shots at a bird will hurt you in the woods and ur adrenaline rush from seeing them and shooting ..u wont even notice the gun made a sound. :z-guntootsmiley:
Take a kid hunting

HogBiologist

Quote from: mike103 on March 08, 2011, 12:29:57 PM
Quote from: LaBiologist on March 08, 2011, 10:13:44 AM

Yea but that's only when talking to your wife.

When your bud says, "who needs a beer"?

You hear just fine.

Well, maybe so.  But the constant ringing is a PITA
Certified Wildlife Biologist

VAHUNTER

i wear muffs while i'm on the bench. i wish i could say that i always have. i have a fair amount of hearing loss in my left ear. enough that i have to turn my right ear toward what i'm trying to hear. i do not wear any type of protection while i'm hunting. i have "heard" lol. good things about Walkers game ears
Good things come to those who wait

TurkeyTim

Thanks for the input.   I think I am going to try a pair of the Howard Leight Impact® Sport earmuffs.   There seems to be a lot of good reviews for these earmuffs.

Tim

LeviSS

Quote from: TurkeyTim on March 10, 2011, 12:22:53 PM
Thanks for the input.   I think I am going to try a pair of the Howard Leight Impact® Sport earmuffs.   There seems to be a lot of good reviews for these earmuffs.

Tim

You'll like them.  I use them for everything.  They are great for the range too, since you can carry out a decent conversation without yelling at your friends.