OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tough Set Up

Started by unworthy, March 07, 2011, 01:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unworthy

I am fortunate enough to have a lot of turkeys, however I feel that they have me in a tough situation this year.  The other day I scoped my favorite spot which is a 1 acre clover field in the middle of a cut over that is borded by a swamp on one side (where the birds roost) and a large hardwood bottom across the cutover from the swamp where they eventually make their way to.  That morning I had 61 hens, 4 young gobblers, and 2 big strutters in the field.  The hens flew from their roost straight to the clover and the 2 gobblers seemed to hop straight down from their roost and strutted up to the field.  My question is this: do I need any kind of decoy set up or do I just set up at an ambush point and hope to catch the 2 strutters making their way to the rest of the flock?

Thanks!   :jesus-cross:

Mossy517

I would say, no dekes needed. For that matter some say that they are never needed. Sounds to me like you know what the birds are doing, so why not get yourself in position to intersect them on their way to the field.

If they don't have any hens with them on their way to you, you should not have much trouble calling them in to " a lone hen" on their way to the others.

No matter what you decide, good luck to ya!
HuntingPA... Lacaster, York, Perry and Centre counties

honker22

Holy smokes!!! 61 hens... I say you start out by playing the game with no dekes.  After a few attempts, pull out a strutting deke and see what happens.  It sounds like you have a good spot where you have time to figure them out.

Good luck
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

hookedspur

Quote from: Mossy517 on March 07, 2011, 02:21:11 PM
I would say, no dekes needed. For that matter some say that they are never needed. Sounds to me like you know what the birds are doing, so why not get yourself in position to intersect them on their way to the field.

If they don't have any hens with them on their way to you, you should not have much trouble calling them in to " a lone hen" on their way to the others.

No matter what you decide, good luck to ya!
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

alloutdoors

Where are you located and when does your season open?  If it's more than a week away I wouldn't worry about making any specific plans just yet.  I would try to get out for a couple mornings the week before the season opens and see what is going on then, and I would try to not make a plan just based on one day.  You may be dealing with a winter flock that hasn't broken up yet and things could change drastically in a short time.

reynolds243

just shoot 60 of the hens and level the playing field....hahah i kid i kid.