OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looked what happened to me.... :(

Started by turkeykiller22, March 07, 2011, 12:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAHUNTER

Quote from: drum817 on March 07, 2011, 06:40:20 PM
Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 07, 2011, 06:11:29 PM
this has been the 4th IC that i have seen split. one belonging to my hunting buddy.
when dealing with something as dangerous as a firearm 1 bad product is to many.

Shawn....didn't your buddy shoot buckshot through his ?  I am a BIG fan of I C and it is VERY disappointing to see these failures....I hope it doesn't hurt the company, cause they really are SUPER nice guys.
his son did. i can except that one splitting. i'm not sure any choke would hold up to that abuse.
who else had this same problem a year or so ago here on OG.

I'm not trying to Bash IC in any way. they have proven there self many many times. i just hate to hear of any choke splitting. this is one part of the gun that you should not have to worry about. if there is a reoccurring problem something needs to be changed.
i would not want to share a tree with anyone using a choke that may split. JMO. LET THE BASHING BEGIN. if you feel i deserve it
Good things come to those who wait

mudhen

Quote from: S.C.C on March 07, 2011, 06:08:10 PM
How do we get are hands on the better Stainless IC's?

Midwest Turkey has them already.

I'm sure you could order right from IC too.

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

turkeytromp

OOuuch!  Hey Guys get the serial number off the choke should be stamped on the outside bore of the choke around the constriction size stamp & call indian creek and tell them what you have,I would also send them a pic via email as well, Indian creek will take care of you!

S.C.C

Quote from: mudhen on March 07, 2011, 07:45:37 PM

mudhen
Just checked MidWest's IC's...doesn't say a thing about any new Stainless or new model Stainless IC's?

mudhen

Quote from: roosthigh on March 07, 2011, 07:36:25 PM
Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 07, 2011, 05:25:17 PM
I think they just got a bad batch of steel, and it is just now showing up periodically. Simply because there are a tone of IC chokes out there that have had no problems, and probably had more rounds shot through them than the 2 we have seen that have split.

Looks to me like IC needs to have a recall on this older tube before someone gets hurt.

Agreed.

I'll stick with them, but what do we do, wait for them to crack??

Anyone have any word from Stuart & Mike as to what we should do?

mudhen

mudhen

Quote from: S.C.C on March 07, 2011, 07:56:55 PM
Quote from: mudhen on March 07, 2011, 07:45:37 PM

mudhen
Just checked MidWest's IC's...doesn't say a thing about any new Stainless or new model Stainless IC's?

It does in their printed catalog, page 82:

"New! Stainless Steel Construction"

But I'd check with them over the phone just to make sure they send you the SS version.

I've checked several Bass Pro's, and they are all regular steel on the shelves.

Could any of this have to do with the wads you are not supposed to shooted from ported tubes  ???

mudhen

drum817

Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 07, 2011, 07:38:29 PM
this has been the 4th IC that i have seen split. one belonging to my hunting buddy.

Shawn....didn't your buddy shoot buckshot through his ?  I am a BIG fan of I C and it is VERY disappointing to see these failures....I hope it doesn't hurt the company, cause they really are SUPER nice guys.
his son did. i can except that one splitting. i'm not sure any choke would hold up to that abuse.

I'm not trying to Bash IC in any way. they have proven there self many many times. i just hate to hear of any choke splitting. this is one part of the gun that you should not have to worry about. if there is a reoccurring problem something needs to be changed.
i would not want to share a tree with anyone using a choke that may split. JMO. LET THE BASHING BEGIN. if you feel i deserve it

I hear ya Shawn....and I can respect your opinion.  I have put MANY rounds through both of my I C chokes with NO problems & I hope it stays that way.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

mcgruff1533

Quote from: turkeytromp on March 07, 2011, 07:48:56 PM
OOuuch!  Hey Guys get the serial number off the choke should be stamped on the outside bore of the choke around the constriction size stamp & call indian creek and tell them what you have,I would also send them a pic via email as well, Indian creek will take care of you!

Just checked my Indian Creek choke model #0001 for the Invector system.   No mention of SS or CM steel used in it's construction, nor was there any mention on the original package.

It's been cold here, but it looks like I had better do some informal testing to see if my newly purchased IC BDS choke is one of the affected models.    

ILIKEHEVI-13

The newer stainless steel chokes will have SS etched on them right before the exit diameter size. 

Ctomp1974

There is no way for I.C. or any other company to know if it got an ingot with interior defects. Hopefully, just a few. Their(I.C.) design with all the cut-outs are prone to expose any weakness in the steel.
As far as the new S.S. choke, carbon steel is generally stronger than Stainless Steel. Not all grades, but most.

Clint

sugarray

Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 07, 2011, 07:38:29 PM

So, I guess I can't come hunt with you sometime then huh?    :P

I tried to get PG to make me a .720 and they would not.  ??

Gobble!

Quote from: sugarray on March 07, 2011, 08:47:27 PM
So, I guess I can't come hunt with you sometime then huh?    :P

I tried to get PG to make me a .720 and they would not.  ??

but then again you don't see there chokes blowing up every 3 days  :TooFunny:

S.C.C

IMO...There would not be a problem with the chokes if no shot larger than #6 was fired thru them!!!

sugarray

Quote from: S.C.C on March 07, 2011, 08:54:57 PM
IMO...There would not be a problem with the chokes if no shot larger than #6 was fired thru them!!!

Larger or smaller? I thought the smaller shot was causing the problem.  I shoot TSS #8 through mine.

S.C.C

They do make them without the skinny slotted ports!!I'm sure you couldn't crack one of those with any shot size!! ;D