OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looked what happened to me.... :(

Started by turkeykiller22, March 07, 2011, 12:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flydown

Ctomp1974

Gobble!

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 07, 2011, 03:49:18 PM
Quote from: Gobble! on March 07, 2011, 03:26:34 PM
Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 07, 2011, 03:12:43 PM
Quote from: beaverslayer on March 07, 2011, 01:47:42 PM
I personally know the guy from the first story.  His only split in one spot.  He said he talked with the guy at IndianCreek and he said that he had about 10 of them do that.  He said it was the steel. If the guy didn't misunderstand him, he said all the split chokes were made of carbon steel and the one not splitting were stainless steel. IndianCreek was very apologetic and sent him a new one without even waiting on the old one. 

Correct, Lee said that Stuart told him, they have had no issues out of the new Stainless Steel chokes.

What made them try the carbon steel?
Cheaper?

That is what they have always used, up until this past Dec or Jan.

So the older chokes that they have sold thousands of are the ones that are spliting not the newer stainless steel ones?

S.C.C

Quote from: Gobble! on March 07, 2011, 04:00:40 PM
I personally know the guy from the first story.  His only split in one spot.  He said he talked with the guy at IndianCreek and he said that he had about 10 of them do that.  He said it was the steel. If the guy didn't misunderstand him, he said all the split chokes were made of carbon steel and the one not splitting were stainless steel. IndianCreek was very apologetic and sent him a new one without even waiting on the old one. 

Correct, Lee said that Stuart told him, they have had no issues out of the new Stainless Steel chokes.

Cheaper?

So the older chokes that they have sold thousands of are the ones that are spliting not the newer stainless steel ones?
:z-winnersmiley:

Gobble!

Quote from: S.C.C on March 07, 2011, 04:13:17 PM
Quote from: Gobble! on March 07, 2011, 04:00:40 PM

Cheaper?

:z-winnersmiley:

Lovely

shootumindaface

Are other choke brands made of the previously used steel or simply IC..

shootumindaface

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 07, 2011, 05:14:44 PM
JellyHead chokes, your Remington Turkey chokes, Comp-N-Chokes and I am sure a few others are made of Chrome Moly Steel, just like the IC chokes were.
So does the problem lie in the design or the steel

Reloader

There is absolutely nothing wrong with CM.  If there was, we'd all be in big trouble.

Does anyone remember when the stainless Sako rifles were exploding a few years back?  

Manufacturers get bad lots of any type of material.  

Is this IC's fault? Not IMO, it's the fault of their supplier.  How did IC handle the problem? Top notch customer service.

So, how many choke manufacturers let you swap chokes til you're happy?

How many will make a custom choke for you?

How many will answer a call and talk with you for quite a while answering any question you have?

The list goes on.....

IC is as good as it gets in the choke industry.

shootumindaface

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 07, 2011, 05:25:17 PM
I think they just got a bad batch of steel, and it is just now showing up periodically. Simply because there are a tone of IC chokes out there that have had no problems, and probably had more rounds shot through them than the 2 we have seen that have split.
Gotcha was just confused by your list seeings that half the chokes in your list are rated for HTL and half are not and the fact that CNC and Kicks claim its a design issue..

S.C.C

One solid bridge of Hevi or lead and cracka pal whoo!!   :anim_25:

beaverslayer

I would think it would have more to do with the heat treating process than the batch of steel.  If it's too hard it will crack, if it's too soft it won't machine well. 

S.C.C

How do we get are hands on the better Stainless IC's?

VAHUNTER

this has been the 4th IC that i have seen split. one belonging to my hunting buddy.
when dealing with something as dangerous as a firearm 1 bad product is to many.
Good things come to those who wait

drum817

Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 07, 2011, 06:11:29 PM
this has been the 4th IC that i have seen split. one belonging to my hunting buddy.
when dealing with something as dangerous as a firearm 1 bad product is to many.

Shawn....didn't your buddy shoot buckshot through his ?  I am a BIG fan of I C and it is VERY disappointing to see these failures....I hope it doesn't hurt the company, cause they really are SUPER nice guys.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

roosthigh

Quote from: slickyboyboo on March 07, 2011, 05:25:17 PM
I think they just got a bad batch of steel, and it is just now showing up periodically. Simply because there are a tone of IC chokes out there that have had no problems, and probably had more rounds shot through them than the 2 we have seen that have split.

Looks to me like IC needs to have a recall on this older tube before someone gets hurt.