OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Weatherby Shotguns

Started by ttcustomcalls, April 03, 2013, 09:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ttcustomcalls

Hello all, A week or two ago I made a post inquiring about a good turkey specific shotgun. Based on your suggestions I've been watching for a deal on a mossberg 835 or a remington 870. Someone I know was looking at the weatherby turkey shotgun (PA-459 i believe) and the price isn't as scary as I initially assumed it would be. Are these guns just overlooked because everyone assumes weatherby is expensive or are they in some way inferior to the other guns that were already suggested to me?

Thanks, TJ

allaboutshooting

Quote from: ttcustomcalls on April 03, 2013, 09:13:48 AM
Hello all, A week or two ago I made a post inquiring about a good turkey specific shotgun. Based on your suggestions I've been watching for a deal on a mossberg 835 or a remington 870. Someone I know was looking at the weatherby turkey shotgun (PA-459 i believe) and the price isn't as scary as I initially assumed it would be. Are these guns just overlooked because everyone assumes weatherby is expensive or are they in some way inferior to the other guns that were already suggested to me?

Thanks, TJ

Recently a reader of mine purchased one of those guns and so far he's happy with it. He's not shot it a lot but plans to take it turkey hunting this spring.

I won a PA-08 recently at a still target shoot but have not shot it. It has the black synthetic stock and everything fits well. The bore looks good and the action is smooth for a new gun. The trigger is pretty heavy but it may lighten with use.

It's just hard to beat the 870 or 835 in a pump gun however. It's easy to customize one of those guns to make it just the way you want it and if you ever decide you'd like to trade or sell, there's always a market.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

remmy1187

Seems most gunshops just dont carry them on their shelves.  If you go into a gunstore, every one of them have Remingtons and Mossbergs,  unfortunately you just dont see these guns on the shelves like you do the others.  Aftermarket accessories are very common  and easy to find for Rem's and mossy's too, and they typically shoot well too. 

alan73

weatherby is probably more well known for there rifles but im sure they have sold alot of shotguns due to there pricing, and there not to hard to find here at large sporting good stores. believe there all manufactured in turkey wich may be the biggest reason there not talked about alot.

savduck

I run one of their SA08 20 gauges and have talked several others into getting them. So far all of us love them. He are shooters.

I think they are great guns. I'm not a fan of their turkey model. Word in the street is sales haven't been good for it so the are going back to the drawing board.

We have taken the stock SA08 and then bought a pistol grip directly from them. Three guys are running sum toys, one guy is running a Carlson. All have been shooters.
Georgia Boy

Hersh

I have also considered buying the SA 459 turkey.  I love how light it is and that it has the rifle sights and an awesome pistol grip. Just don't have any idea what choke and ammo set up to use.  I think I will wait to do this setup till next year.  I have a rem super max gobbler that I have used for a number of years and am ready to set up a semi auto. So I will keep my eyes open hope I can pick up the Weatherby cheap this summer.

WV Ridge Reaper

I am bringing the thread back to life...Anyone else wanna share the good and bad ? I am looking at the SA-08

drum817

I got a SA-08 Waterfowl edition (26" barrel) last summer and I LOVE IT!!!  I also got a PA-459 Digital TR and LOVE it too!!!  Both guns have performed flawlessly so far & I have ZERO complaints!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

FL-Boss

The Weatherby SA and PA guns are Turkish made - just like the mossberg SA-20. I believe they are all made in the same factory.  But I have both the SA-20 and SA-459.  The SA-459 is just a better version of the Mossberg SA-20.  It has the pistol grip, sights, some other little touches the mossberg SA-20 doesn't have... but the bones of the guns are the same.

With that said.. the SA-459 ( or PA if you like a pump) is the best turkey gun you can buy in my opinion (and I have a lot)  Straight out of the box it's set up perfect for turkey hunting. And even with the short barrel, the gun shots unbelievable numbers for a 20ga.  I was shooting 196 @40 yards in a 10in with Fed HW #7 straight out of the box.. no polishing of the barrel or anything.

As for chokes - the factory choke is good. Sumtoy will give you the tightest 10in numbers.  But I found a cheap Carlson .585 is the best all around hunting choke.

drum817

Quote from: FL-Boss on April 16, 2014, 10:54:31 PM

With that said.. the SA-459 ( or PA if you like a pump) is the best turkey gun you can buy in my opinion (and I have a lot)  Straight out of the box it's set up perfect for turkey hunting. And even with the short barrel, the gun shots unbelievable numbers for a 20ga.  I was shooting 196 @40 yards in a 10in with Fed HW #7 straight out of the box.. no polishing of the barrel or anything.

:agreed: I got the PA-459 (18.5" barrel...20" after the choke) It has shot GREAT patterns!!!  192-232 in the 10" with 3" #6  longbeards..... using a SumToy .650.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

surehuntsalot

all that I have ever handled or fired seemed to be well made shotguns
one of them(don't know yet) will be my next purchase
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Horrendo Revolver

I seen posted many times that the Weatherby SA-08/SA-459 and the Mossberg SA-20 are made in the same factory.  They are not.
Assistant Secretary - U.S. Dry Bean Council

stinkpickle

The Weatherby is made by ATA in Turkey.  I hear the wood and bluing is top notch for the price point.  I've been looking around for one as an upland gun.

decoykrvr

Check out the Weatherby Upland in both 12 and 20 gauge.  Well balanced, easy pointing w/ matte finished wood and metal.  If you desire to attach a sling, the magazine tube caps w/ sling mounts are available from Weatherby.  I've got a TR-459 pump in 20 gauge w/ 18 1/2" barrel and utilizing a Sumtoy choke tube get 140-145 Federal HW 7's in 10" at 40 yards w/ good even 20" pattern.  The 30 yard pattern is really tight w/ 180-185 in 10".  Quality made shotguns which Weatherby is standing behind 100%.

TauntoHawk

Me and my turkey hunting buddy both got SA-459's in 20ga and couldn't be happier they are perfect turkey guns, Light, balanced, great patterning semi auto at a very affordable price point.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>