turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SSX heavily scored inside

Started by Tom Foolery, April 02, 2013, 09:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Foolery

A friend bought a SSX .550 for his Mossberg Youth and also picked up some h13 7's and some rem nitro 6's.  After polishing the barrel he took it for a test drive and it shot some good patterns.  He pulled it apart to give it a good cleaning saw the choke was chewed up inside.  He showed the choke to me, it's less than a month old and has probably 10-15 rounds through it and it has deep gouges running the length of the choke in several places and the wad catcher is peeling up in a couple of spots.  Is this normal?  Should he keep shooting the choke?

I have never seen anything like this, it looks like you took a Dremel to the inside of the tube.

Thanks

jhcats10

I believe these chokes have internal groves designed in them. It's supposed to be that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

remmy1187

Quote from: jhcats10 on April 03, 2013, 09:47:55 AM
I believe these chokes have internal groves designed in them. It's supposed to be that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct, and the wad catchers do tend to get chewed up a bit.  Sounds normal.

Tom Foolery

Trust me, these are not the grooves.  I have an SSX and he has an SSX in his 835, it's not the straight rifling grooves that's cut, it honestly looks like you have went over it with a grinder.  My SSX does not look like this.

jordanz7935

I would call truglo and see if they'll replace it. It is a hevi approved choke so they should replace it. Guys are getting good results with that choke but from what im reading on here they seem to be pretty inconsistent. Personally, i wouldnt use a chinese made choke tube.

savduck

I've got one that is scored like that. It is also a mossberg thread . My Remington SSX is not scored like that. It is not by design it is just bad metal work.

The good news is that it doesn't seem to affect the patterns out of my gun, my wad catcher do not see to be affected though.
Georgia Boy