Main Menu

Hevi-13 shot choice? 6's or 7's

Started by TBab, April 02, 2013, 12:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckeye_Strutter_935

Tbab go with the 6's.....perfect round for energy  :anim_25:
Feathers Fear Me

WyoHunter

Have never shot Hevi-13 6's but really like Hevi-13 7's. They pattern well in my gun.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: WyoHunter on April 04, 2013, 01:14:23 AM
Have never shot Hevi-13 6's but really like Hevi-13 7's. They pattern well in my gun.

7's will pattern better in evey gun vs the other Hevi-13 loads.  Those that say they won't, well I got money that I could prove them wrong. 

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: mudhen on April 02, 2013, 02:03:17 PM
H-13 #6's have saved my turkey bacon so many times, I stopped counting  ;D

I'm sure I would be fine with #7's, but since I travel to places like Nebraska & Kansas, I really like having a little more KD power....

mudhen

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 04, 2013, 08:47:55 AM
7's will pattern better in evey gun vs the other Hevi-13 loads.  Those that say they won't, well I got money that I could prove them wrong. 

The 7's will out pattern the 6's in my 20 gauge but it's only 30 pellets difference. That is at 40. The 6's are available locally for a good price and I stocked up on them and after seeing them roll the last gobbler I shot and the conditions he was shot under I don't think I will change. Those 6's broke both legs, both wings, and his neck and head were a mess.

Now for my Nitro's, give me the 4x5x7 or 2x5x7 blends anyday over any of the other options.

bigdale

I would try to shoot both out of your gun and see which one works best for you. I prefer #7's but that's just my preference.

birdyhunter

I shot the 6s and 7s out of my nova/sumtoy 665 and it didn't hold near the pattern that the 5s did. Just use what works in your setup.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I don't know that any shell will ever put up numbers like #7 HTL, unless you drop down to even smaller pellets.  There are so many #7 pellets in the shell to start with.  Too bad you can't buy #6.5 HTL loads, or 6x7 loads as a compromise.  Then again, Nitro company will load a 6x7 I believe?  They'd be expensive though.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

It was only 1 pattern per choke, but I ran a 3-2-7 Hevi13 through:

Indian Creek .665 in my 870 and got 294 in 10" at 40 Yards.

Star Dot in my 870 and got 280 in 10" at 40 Yards.

SSX .643 in my 870 and got 245 in 10" at 40 Yards.

Ventilator .655 in my 870 and got a blown pattern.

The #7 loads haven't been sold very much in central Mississippi.  They're hard to find.  I don't mail-order ammo either.

Borden811

Quote from: Daman on April 04, 2013, 09:26:54 AM

I'm sure I would be fine with #7's, but since I travel to places like Nebraska & Kansas, I really like having a little more KD power....

mudhen

The 7's will out pattern the 6's in my 20 gauge but it's only 30 pellets difference. That is at 40. The 6's are available locally for a good price and I stocked up on them and after seeing them roll the last gobbler I shot and the conditions he was shot under I don't think I will change. Those 6's broke both legs, both wings, and his neck and head were a mess.

Now for my Nitro's, give me the 4x5x7 or 2x5x7 blends anyday over any of the other options.

Did he try and cover his head with his wings and feet?  :toothy9:

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: Borden811 on April 08, 2013, 01:21:19 PM
Quote from: Daman on April 04, 2013, 09:26:54 AM

mudhen

Did he try and cover his head with his wings and feet?  :toothy9:

No - he was way too far to be shooting. My buddy shot one of the two and when the second's toes touched the ground again in the road I pulled the trigger on him. I wasn't paying attention to the range and I am glad I wasn't shooting lead...

TauntoHawk

I've shot the 7's 6's and mag blends both at the range and killed birds in the field with all of them. I prefer the 6's and thats what I stocked up on last year. They are all great shells though
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>