Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The Lead Shooters Forum has Picked Up This Year!!!

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, March 29, 2013, 08:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Philippe

Yep and the main reason why is most people including myself refuse to pay 30+bucks before tax for hevi-shot.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I think that a lot of it, is that many people are getting some of their best ever Lead numbers this year.  The Federal Turkey Thugs have been a godsend for the Lead hunters, and the Winchester Black Box loads are still good too.

Philippe

I agree, those thugs are worth stockig up on. Picked up a few boxes of the 3.5-2-6's to add to the stash.

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Longshanks

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 29, 2013, 08:19:10 PM
I think that a lot of it, is that many people are getting some of their best ever Lead numbers this year.  The Federal Turkey Thugs have been a godsend for the Lead hunters, and the Winchester Black Box loads are still good too.

I agree. The patterns I have been able to turn with Pb in several of my guns @ 40 have made me realize there is no need to buy more HTL. Although I have a bunch of HTL and hunt with it..as I run out I will be putting Pb in the gun as I step out of the truck..Shot a turkey last year at 38-39 yards with one of my best lead set ups and it was devastating on the turkey.

chatterbox

If anyone is interested, I have an IC BDS for sale for an 835/935 that is a custom .650 constriction, and it shoots the pre-flitecontrol federal lead very well.
I haven't shot the thugs out of it, but I imagine they would be lights out.
45.00 TYD if anyone is interested.

wvcurlytop

Quote from: Philippe on March 29, 2013, 08:16:25 PM
Yep and the main reason why is most people including myself refuse to pay 30+bucks before tax for hevi-shot.

:you_rock: You ain't wrong about that!!!!!!!
Dead is dead, and the turkeys I shoot are just as dead as those shot with hevi-shot!!

WildTigerTrout

I never really switched over to HTL. I did kill my best gobbler years ago with one of Remington's old original Hevi-Shot loads. However it's the only bird I ever killed with HTL. I like lead and will continue to use it.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Philippe

We may need to put together a lead only team lol LEAD HEADS!

SgtUSMC

I switched to HTL last year.  Not sure how it happened really.  It was ridiculous how much I was against spending 4 or 5 dollars a shell.   The only reason I got my hands on some was after getting a Cabelas gift card for Christmas at the same time Hevi 13 was on sale.   

I patterned it and immediately got the bug, started buying it whenever I could afford it.  Got to shoot a bird with it last year and it was no more dead than the lead killed ones.

So now I'm back, got an IC BDS that's shooting great lead patterns and trying to at least get 1 box of turkey thugs anytime me or the mrs. are anywhere near a Walmart.    I guess I got so addicted to the "number" game instead of getting a good hunting pattern.   I have to keep telling myself that the ultimate goal here is to kill a bird, not get ten or 20 more holes in a piece of paper.

That being said, anyone shoot the 20 gauge Thugs yet?   My son is 6 so I figure in a few years he'll be ready for some mentored youth action.   Gonna pass him down the youth model 870 that my ol man bought me when I was 12.

willy8457

There has been alot more turkeys killed with lead than will ever be shot with Hevi shot. If you want to tell every body you got twenty more bee bees in a circle thats ok. But dead is dead ,Hevi shot is a fad that will pass, If anything it makes people shoot at them further away

Rockhound

trkehunr93

Still shooting hevi shot but I have stocked up on win Hv that my 835 likes and that is what I'll be shooting once the hevi is gone

the Ward

I was contemplating the switch to hevi earlier this year.There is no doubt they will give astounding patterns,but i decided against it for one important (for me) reason.I like to shoot,alot!For the price of 5 hevi shells,i can get 3 boxs of lead(30 shells!)That is alot of testing i can do for a affordable price.I am a firm believer that the more shooting you can do with a particular gun the more you will get to know what you can or can't do with it at different yardages,weather,shooting positions and stuff.Now thats just my opinion,if i could afford to shoot as much  hevi  as i can shoot lead my opionion mite change lol!But dead is dead,whether it is 300 h13 7s  or 100 pb 6s at  40. :funnyturkey: