OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WHEN TO USE GOBBLE CALL

Started by BIGBOB, March 29, 2013, 01:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGBOB

Have been given a couple of gobble call that sound good.I have been hunting for several years but never used a gobble call. Was wondering what would be the best scenario to try it.Am hunting on private land so don't have to worry about other hunters (I hope)THANKS

Gooserbat

I use a gobble call and they are like full strut decoys.  They can either work or run it off.  You just have to feel the bird out.  If it's an aggressive tom then it might be your ticket especially if your hunting in the woods where a strutter decoy wouldn't have the appeal it might have in the fields.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

VooDooMagic

Later in the morning in lieu of a crow call to trigger a gobbler to sound off while runnin' and gunnin', I only use it as a locator call...

eddie234

Remember hens come to gobbler calls. I use mine when nothing else is working. Ill gobble call to bring in the hens hoping they have a gobbler in toe. Last year i was battling a hen, shed yelp id yelp went on for a while then i started to gobble call and brought her right in. She didnt have a tom with her so i let her wonder off.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

FL-Boss

+1 ... I carry one with me.. but only use it's as a last resort.. when I have nothing to lose.

taylorjones20

I've only had it work one time so far.  Last season I had worked a bird off and on for almost the entire season.  He was so smart and slick we never could get him in range.  One morning I heard him on the roost and took off towards him to try one more time.  I called and he would gobble every now and then while going back and forth on top of a ridge.  After listening to him go back and forth for about an hour I heard him gobble on one end of the ridge and then I took off to exactly where I heard him.  When I got there and called he was at the other end of the ridge and of course wasn't coming back to this end.  I waited for a while and then decided to gobble at him - no response.  15 minutes later he had snuck up on me and gobbled within 30 yards of me.  I called real soft and he was spitting and drumming as he was coming in.  Of course the only bad part of the whole story is that I missed him at point blank range... 

I have since tried to gobble at them and sometimes get a response but have not had it bring another one in, yet!

Good Luck!
Alive only by the Grace Of God